Bag for Travel Pod

Vetter

I'm gonna start traveling here in a few weeks. What size bag will fit into a travel pod? Any suggested bags that are good for taking all your shit downrange?

Already answered by Dupe under the F-15E gift idea Have fun on your travels!

And stop making fun of European "culture"!

Edited by Steve Davies

North Face duffel bag is a must have. Its water proof, it fits in a travel pod and it has backpack straps along with normal duffelbag handles. So I guess what I am saying is I concur with what everyone is saying in the other threads. I have a large one (sts) and it fits just fine in the travel pod. You could probably fit two in both ends and have room for two small back packs in the middle.

Already answered by Dupe under the F-15E gift idea...

Are you good with a Brit civilian's answer pointing to a single solution provided by Dupe or do you want a little more input on down range bag requirements for a Hog guy that can and will get deployed to a 10x shit hole location at least once in his career?

Are you good with a Brit civilian's answer pointing to a single solution provided by Dupe or do you want a little more input on down range bag requirements for a Hog guy that can and will get deployed to a 10x shit hole location at least once in his career?

Come on Rainman, I'm a CAS pilot...I never believe there is a single solution to any problem. Therefore, any suggestions/wisdom you'd like to pass on, please do!

Wow, this thread sure went ugly early...no pun.

Vetter, I got to be the designated-LPA attendee to an airshow a while back. NS, put 7 body-bag sized duffels into one pod. Some keys to success:

-Don't jam pack the bag to capacity. You don't have to under pack to the point that you ask yourself "why didn't I just bring a jansport?", just leave enough room to manipulate the bag thru the door. Any bags with frames or rigid structure (sts) are not ideal.

-If for some reason, you end up doing an airshow or being the designated "hey, bro, can you throw this in your pod for me?"-guy, the key here is to get the first couple of bags all the way in the extreme fore and aft spaces of the pod. Typically leaves room for at least three more in the main middle section of the pod, depending.

-As mentioned, pods are dirty, this won't be the bag you'll use on your future legislative fellowship...

-That said, try to have a two-pod standard as much as possible. This will allow your crew chief to direct all mx stuff to one pod, so that you can have the other. Single pod jets end up being a food fight btw you and super when you get to the jet.

-Pods also have sharp edges, so heavy canvas is preferred for larger bags, but the Northface referenced earlier should do fine if it's small enough to fit through the door cleanly.

-BOOZE needs to stand upright, preferably in a plastic bag (or several). Standing upright ensures that any pressure release is only air. The plastic bag is for just in case. If you can get your stuff packed around the booze, that should help with stability. You should be good for your planned LATN, but I'd avoid the inverted stab demos for this leg... I put booze toward the back since the jet spends most of the flight in a slightly nose high att (again, just in case).

-As always, hit-n-run should be the last bag in if you don't use the crows nest.

Mountainsmith Travel Trunk, probably a size large. Similar to the North Face, but tougher. I've used one for five years now and beaten the ever-loving shit out of it - still going strong. Actually, I'd recommend any of their products.