What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

It's a never ending cycle of 'I remember when'

Yeah, but you would think holding people to the same standard, I don’t know, meant that we were “uniform” or something.  Oh well—I’m the old guy who is retired now.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Toxic Leadership according to a 0.69" Google search, "a combination of self-centered attitudes, motivations, and behaviors that have adverse effects on subordinates, the organization, and mission performance."

The self-centered approach to leadership is what I've seen from the majority of senior leaders I've worked for, not to mention countless stories from the bros. I'm not saying it is done with malicious intent, but that hardly matters.

The desire to climb the ladder in coupled with the standard knee jerk reaction to prove to the boss that, "we're doing something" has bred this into the bobs. It's almost like they teach this at ACSC.

Working for a boss that gives a shit and you can trust implicitly is something I've experienced once.

Edited by Boomer6

3 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Yeah, but you would think holding people to the same standard, I don’t know, meant that we were “uniform” or something.  Oh well—I’m the old guy who is retired now.  

I get it.  Also the old guy.  I find myself with the same thoughts but then I think, all generations say the same thing.  Shits crazy now in my eyes but I'm positive all generations have said the same thing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HeloDude said:

What standard is that, AFR 35-10?  You could probably get a copy of that on your way to the cash cage in CBPO! 🤣

6 hours ago, uhhello said:

I get it.  Also the old guy.  I find myself with the same thoughts but then I think, all generations say the same thing.  Shits crazy now in my eyes but I'm positive all generations have said the same thing.  

It's been said by every generation ever.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SocialD said:

...AFR 35-10?  

...cash cage in CBPO!

Nice retro hour!!

You might actually remember when the phone number to CBPO at most bases was x2276. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2024 at 9:28 AM, Skitzo said:

When base operators were a thing 1110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first few deployments I didn't have email.   DSN 1110...."I'd like to make an off base call".  People were also waiting in line to use the phones.   Felt like a prison scene.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/25/2024 at 1:19 AM, O Face said:

Well the Germans sure thought he was a brilliant leader, so there’s that. And I’m pretty sure smacking a couple dudes was absolutely not his “sole idea for motivating his men” as one of his speeches was literally turned into one of the most famous movie monologues of all time. Go visit Bastogne sometime, all the shops in town with paintings and statues of Patton seem to have been pretty inspired too.  As for not understanding the people he led, his final wish was to be buried next to them in Luxembourg…Yeah, what an asshole. 

Given how awfully the Germans were at anything approaching strategic thinking, that isn't the compliment you think it is. I admit he had a great PR campaign, he definitely looked and acted like people thought a general should. MacArthur falls into this same category. Patton was just lucky compared to MacArthur in that he didn't have the opportunity to get publicly trounced (twice!) because his enemies actually had the ability to take the initiative.

On 6/25/2024 at 11:29 AM, Smokin said:

I'd rather be led by a dude that slaps a guy for not fighting than led by a dude that thinks some lint on your uniform is indicative of your military ability.

Patton was both those guys. We was fining troops in foxholes under active observation for not being clean shaven or not wearing a necktie. He had utter contempt for the citizen soldiers he was leading. If someone whose been wearing the uniform for 35 years can't understand why someone who was a baker's apprentice ten months before isn't as good at soldiering as he is, he isn't a good leader of Americans.

Edited by Stoker
  • Like 1

My first few deployments I didn't have email.   DSN 1110...."I'd like to make an off base call".  People were also waiting in line to use the phones.   Felt like a prison scene.  

Same also you got the hook after 15 mins IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stoker said:

Given how awfully the Germans were at anything approaching strategic thinking, that isn't the compliment you think it is. I admit he had a great PR campaign, he definitely looked and acted like people thought a general should. MacArthur falls into this same category. Patton was just lucky compared to MacArthur in that he didn't have the opportunity to get publicly trounced (twice!) because his enemies actually had the ability to take the initiative.

When your enemy is afraid of you, it is exactly the compliment I think it is. Please tell me more about what the cool, edgy, new professor at the zoo thought about the subject though.

Edited by O Face
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, uhhello said:

The dreaded beep warnings

If you got the timing right, it was kinda like nailing a game winning shot at the buzzer during phone sex though.

Edited by O Face
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, herkbum said:

Am I remembering incorrectly, did AUTOVON precede DSN?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I never used or even heard of AUTOVON.    You old playa! 

Edit:  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovon#:~:text=AUTOVON used a numbering scheme,AUTOVON calls with operator assistance.

440px-AUTOVON_telephone_-_Telephone_Museum_-_Waltham_Massachusetts_agr.jpg.c07233332b349a051c65075b61830b73.jpg

Quick, somebody get General LeMay on the line. We need to  launch the Hustlers!

Edited by Biff_T
Research

Back to what’s wrong in the AF: current ACC commander, if I’m not mistaken he’s the same cat back in 2013 when he was the 9th AETF commander in Afghanistan where he was complaining that the squadron’s floors were too dusty (in Kandahar, where poop and dust flies). 

I was at CENTCOM HQ when he was the DO, in a position so low that he didn’t know I existed… but he seemed to make a lot of sense then. I am surprised that he is going through with these motions. 

6 hours ago, dream big said:

Afghanistan where he was complaining that the squadron’s floors were too dusty

Barely any dust in AFG, no excuses for not having sparkling floors! How can I trust you to fight a war if you can’t keep your floors immaculate?! 

On 6/27/2024 at 6:59 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Nice retro hour!!

You might actually remember when the phone number to CBPO at most bases was x2276. 

More nostalgic phone numbers:

762-1401

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dream big said:

Back to what’s wrong in the AF: current ACC commander, if I’m not mistaken he’s the same cat back in 2013 when he was the 9th AETF commander in Afghanistan where he was complaining that the squadron’s floors were too dusty (in Kandahar, where poop and dust flies). 

1 hour ago, brabus said:

Barely any dust in AFG, no excuses for not having sparkling floors! How can I trust you to fight a war if you can’t keep your floors immaculate?! 

😆

Dude, when a person said "How can I trust you to.....if you can't...?" I knew that they were a non combatant.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Magnum said:

More nostalgic phone numbers:

762-1401

Nice one. It was usually the Nav who called for it on most SAC crews when I was at Pburgh. I'd call sometimes if the Nav needed an assist.