What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

19 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

My old guy transition is on the beard thing. Fuck that. These weak, chinless, fat bodies clamoring for it don’t need 7 stray hairs to look more stupid. 

As I think about it, over half the enlisted in my unit have shaving waivers now anyway. None of the O’s do. I guess those shaving classes while getting our degrees really paid off.

Lol, grab a chair on my lawn to yell at the kids because I'm with you here.  At my airline, people act like their suffering through extreme persecution because they can't sport a beard.   We had an enlisted dude in my squadron who claimed to be a pagan or something like that, so he could get a beard.  Looked like shit.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Haha 1

Put it in the regs, then enforce them. And then shame folks if their haircut or beard looks bad. I’ll grant that the number of shaving waivers has exploded in the last decade.

”Look Amn Snuffy, you are allowed to have a beard, but you CAN’T actually grow one. So don’t.”

My old guy thing might be that you used to be able to shame folks.

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

We had an enlisted dude in my squadron who claimed to be a pagan or something like that, so he could get a beard.  Looked like shit.  

I wonder if an airman can grow a beard if they are a trans minority who worships dong?  

I have a theory that the people who are against beards are the same people who can't grow a good looking beard. I'm happy to be proven wrong if someone wants to post a selfie, but anecdotally it's been a pretty consistent coincidence. 

I also find it hilarious when people argue that beards don't look professional. The period of time where professionals were clean shaven is quite minimal compared to the period of time where the baddest motherfuckers on the planet all have beards. And in fact, even in this era the real badasses still have beards. 

Of course there are a subset of men who are not blessed with follicle dominance, yet still insist on foisting their inferior peach fuzz lady-beards on society. But I suspect the involuntary celibacy associated with such shameful, demeaning displays of facial inadequacy will purge them from the gene pool fast enough.

2 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

I have a theory that the people who are against beards are the same people who can't grow a good looking beard. I'm happy to be proven wrong if someone wants to post a selfie, but anecdotally it's been a pretty consistent coincidence. 

This is what the beard pushers tell themselves to feel better during their beard club circle jerks.  I'm not actually for/against them, I just think the whining about not being able to have them is a bit over the top, second only to the arm tat people.  I do think it's only a matter of time until they're approved. 

2 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

I also find it hilarious when people argue that beards don't look professional. The period of time where professionals were clean shaven is quite minimal compared to the period of time where the baddest motherfuckers on the planet all have beards. And in fact, even in this era the real badasses still have beards. 

It is quite interesting that all the civil war generals, many West Point grads, sported beards.  Yet the service academy has since shunned them.  But more to your point, based on the handful of cargo guys who've showed up with beards looking for a ride, maybe 1 of them had a decent beard.  However, most of them looked like shit.

• Thanks 1

PSA: Declare your religion as "Viking" backed up by any heritage proof and you're good to grow that beard as bushy as you want.  Proven by maintainers at KBIX.

3 hours ago, SocialD said:

This is what the beard pushers tell themselves to feel better during their beard club circle jerks.  I'm not actually for/against them, I just think the whining about not being able to have them is a bit over the top, second only to the arm tat people.  I do think it's only a matter of time until they're approved. 

It is quite interesting that all the civil war generals, many West Point grads, sported beards.  Yet the service academy has since shunned them.  But more to your point, based on the handful of cargo guys who've showed up with beards looking for a ride, maybe 1 of them had a decent beard.  However, most of them looked like shit.

Found the guy who can't grow a beard 😂🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Found the guy who can't grow a beard 😂🤣

Lol, knew that was inbound.   I genuinely wish my beard wouldn't grow back so fast, it's annoying.   

31 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Lol, knew that was inbound.   I genuinely wish my beard wouldn't grow back so fast, it's annoying.   

Seriously, my five o'clock shadow looks like 5 days of growth for some of these children we are hiring 😂

• Haha 1

I sport a beard during the winter months, too hot and itchy for me in the summer. Takes about a month to be decent, but I keep it really trimmed up. I can’t stand the guys at work who don’t take care of theirs and make us look like shit to other airlines.

I don’t jump seat, is it true that Delta will not let you jump seat if you have a beard?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

48 minutes ago, herkbum said:

I sport a beard during the winter months, too hot and itchy for me in the summer. Takes about a month to be decent, but I keep it really trimmed up. I can’t stand the guys at work who don’t take care of theirs and make us look like shit to other airlines.

I don’t jump seat, is it true that Delta will not let you jump seat if you have a beard?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

AA won't now either. They got spooked by some guy who is threatening to sue and even doing an embry riddle study for evidence, so they standardized everything against beards to cover their bases

Edited by Lord Ratner

7 hours ago, herkbum said:

Not for now, no beards or goatee, including the FAA.  I think it's a ridiculous, but their toys, their rules.  

On 7/16/2024 at 8:52 AM, SocialD said:

Lol, grab a chair on my lawn to yell at the kids because I'm with you here.  At my airline, people act like their suffering through extreme persecution because they can't sport a beard.   We had an enlisted dude in my squadron who claimed to be a pagan or something like that, so he could get a beard.  Looked like shit.  

I think I work for the same airline. Not all pilots in support of beards "act like their suffering through extreme persecution". I for one am in favor of neatly groomed beards. I've had a shaving waiver in the AF for 20 years now but have only actually grown a beard once while deployed to AFG training Afghans. Had an instructor in college who after telling me I should get a shaving waiver, come back later to say "I know you have a shaving waiver, but I've never seen an officer with a beard". That statement has stuck with me for my entire career. 

If I were to shave every day, my neck would end up looking like the backside of a Nestle Crunch Bar. Instead I try and time my shaving schedule based on my work week. I can't shave inside of 36 hours so if I know I'm going to be in the office M-F I just know that on Wednesday I wont shave, have a 5-o-clock shadow at 1100, and look like a dirt bag. 

When I go back to the Airlines next year, I'll just suck it up. But it would be nice to not cut my neck up repeatedly for the next 20 years. 

Crunch Bar.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

All you SNAPs complaining about beards...The instant I got that green ID card I let my soul patch thrive.  Neck tattoos scheduled for next week.

Are you touching up the tramp stamp as well?

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, SocialD said:

Not for now, no beards or goatee, including the FAA.  

Same at United.  I like it.  

7 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Are you touching up the tramp stamp as well?

28 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Nah it still looks fresh, at least that's what your mom says.

...and that's how I found out ClearedHot digs pegging...

image.jpeg.9009103a4eb97980a2661c8eeae90875.jpeg

• Haha 9

On 7/16/2024 at 2:56 PM, FourFans said:

PSA: Declare your religion as "Viking" backed up by any heritage proof and you're good to grow that beard as bushy as you want.  Proven by maintainers at KBIX.

Im 2 percent viking, from when they used to raid and rape Ireland.    Does that count?   

On 7/17/2024 at 5:09 AM, ClearedHot said:

I let my soul patch thrive.

You gotta braid that bad Johnny up!   Make it a chin rat tail.   

On 7/15/2024 at 4:40 PM, Skitzo said:

Call this my official transition to old guy / get off of my lawn but can anyone explain the logic behind non obvious duty identifier patches? ATC I get, Ammo, yup that checks. LRS, okay. SVS - I understand that one too.

But today I saw UNLTD — Unlimited Warrant Contracting Officer.

Some folks are wearing their AFSCs and not obvious ones like a 2T2 but CE AFSCs - 3E3 - Structures. If I have to google the patch it does not identify your duty.

Turning to some obvious ones but unnecessary…You can wear PILOT, NAV, EWO or ABM on your left sleeve if the wings don’t give you away??

Anyone else? Probably just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMG_7934.thumb.png.251f9807047009bee433de899a26e1a0.pngIMG_7933.thumb.png.ed007925a68ccf1f7116076c183de20f.png

@Skitzo, was this you? 🤣🤣🤣

image.thumb.png.4191c80682cbc08e6f84f4e5c105673c.png

@Skitzo, was this you? 

image.thumb.png.4191c80682cbc08e6f84f4e5c105673c.png

@M2 I wish, but no, the OP on the Amn/NCO/SNCO FB page clearly makes a way better / more salient argument than I did. But maybe this poster is a lurker here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I just had a brilliant idea...make a bunch that say things like "FAT", "STUPID", "UGLY", "BAD@JOB", etc and hand them out as appropriate in the name of OPSEC/helping people wear the proper uniform.

• Haha 1