What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

On 7/16/2024 at 11:23 AM, Lord Ratner said:

Of course there are a subset of men who are not blessed with follicle dominance, yet still insist on foisting their inferior peach fuzz lady-beards on society. But I suspect the involuntary celibacy associated with such shameful, demeaning displays of facial inadequacy will purge them from the gene pool fast enough.

I felt inferior due to my myopia nearsightedness, the way the AF made me wear those awful birth control glasses so I wouldn't add to the gene pool more myopic people.

• Haha 1

[mention=1535]M2[/mention] I wish, but no, the OP on the Amn/NCO/SNCO FB page clearly makes a way better / more salient argument than I did. But maybe this poster is a lurker here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This "every minor career field gets a patch" has got to go away.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I like the patch. 
Around the aircraft, there are often a number of people from MX. 
Woth the patch,. I'm able to easily tell who is from which specialty. 
And it sure beats the small badge that many specialties are given. I still cannot tell the difference between any of them. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MechGov said:

This "every minor career field gets a patch" has got to go away.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Why? Let them have their morale, doesn’t bother me as long as they don’t suck at their jobs 

• Upvote 2

I hated them at first - why does everyone need to be special? I’ve gotten used to them and like knowing what AFSC’s are working an issue. They need to cut down on the dumb ones that are non-standard or indicate something other than basic AFSC. 

So, there I was in the chow hall in the desert.  One of my LMs made comment that we should get arm bands like the SFs dudes had, because it would be cool.  We kind of knock his plan, but he goes and does it anyway.  A few weeks later when we meet for lunch prior to our mission, he's sporting a nice desert tan "LM" arm band like the SFs and he's feeling quite proud.  I get a tap an the shoulder and it's Mr Wing King, and he pulls my aside and rips me a new one.  He thinks load is making fun of it, I say no, he thought it was cool and wanted to play.  I get the ass chew that he has a hard time motivating his SF group and the arm band was something unique for them and he thinks we're mocking it. 

I understood the point.  CCs try to find ways to rally the troops.  Some jobs are shitty and peeps in them are based on an ASVAB.  I told Load that he was the shit and to know that if it took a fancy armband to be motivated, he was in the wrong job. 

Point?  Kids these days love tags.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

So, there I was in the chow hall in the desert.  One of my LMs made comment that we should get arm bands like the SFs dudes had, because it would be cool.  We kind of knock his plan, but he goes and does it anyway.  A few weeks later when we meet for lunch prior to our mission, he's sporting a nice desert tan "LM" arm band like the SFs and he's feeling quite proud.  I get a tap an the shoulder and it's Mr Wing King, and he pulls my aside and rips me a new one.  He thinks load is making fun of it, I say no, he thought it was cool and wanted to play.  I get the ass chew that he has a hard time motivating his SF group and the arm band was something unique for them and he thinks we're mocking it. 

I understood the point.  CCs try to find ways to rally the troops.  Some jobs are shitty and peeps in them are based on an ASVAB.  I told Load that he was the shit and to know that if it took a fancy armband to be motivated, he was in the wrong job. 

Point?  Kids these days love tags.

I honestly get it. It’s the same concept as squadron Friday patches, color tee shirts, squadron ball caps, etc. People (myself included) love that shit. I genuinely don’t understand the aversion to allowing squadron pride.

Current AFSOC CC turned off squadron Friday shirts when he was 1 SOW CC in the name of not trying to stand out in SOCOM. Not sure how Green Berets, PJ/CCT unique headgear, etc fit into that or if it’s just an anti “fighter culture” thing for flying units but it’s a bummer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I honestly get it. It’s the same concept as squadron Friday patches, color tee shirts, squadron ball caps, etc. People (myself included) love that shit. I genuinely don’t understand the aversion to allowing squadron pride.

Current AFSOC CC turned off squadron Friday shirts when he was 1 SOW CC in the name of not trying to stand out in SOCOM. Not sure how Green Berets, PJ/CCT unique headgear, etc fit into that or if it’s just an anti “fighter culture” thing for flying units but it’s a bummer.

Previous AFGSC commander tried the same, because (direct quote) "we get made fun of a lot in joint environments" over stuff like that....ok, so?  I make fun of Marines for eating crayons and Navy guys for living on a boat for eight months straight.  Why do we have to conform to them?  Same idea with why we just changed ever Vice Wing/CC's title to "Deputy"....so we can "align better with the joint force"...sorry, what?  It's that hard to understand Vice Wing Commander vs Deputy Wing Commander?  

• Upvote 4

Previous AFGSC commander tried the same, because (direct quote) "we get made fun of a lot in joint environments" over stuff like that....ok, so?  I make fun of Marines for eating crayons and Navy guys for living on a boat for eight months straight.  Why do we have to conform to them?  Same idea with why we just changed ever Vice Wing/CC's title to "Deputy"....so we can "align better with the joint force"...sorry, what?  It's that hard to understand Vice Wing Commander vs Deputy Wing Commander?  

Have any of these people seen Navy flyer’s Thursday flight suits? Or the Friday ones with embroidery?
FFS.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Previous AFGSC commander tried the same, because (direct quote) "we get made fun of a lot in joint environments" over stuff like that....

This is actually a root cause for a lot of our problems. Our leaders are chastised by Army generals for thinking that pilots are special (because theirs aren’t). Kills bonuses and morale.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

This is actually a root cause for a lot of our problems. Our leaders are chastised by Army generals for thinking that pilots are special (because theirs aren’t). Kills bonuses and morale.

Our leaders need to grow a pair because their army counterparts are not special. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What's wrong with the AF... and with Boeing?

They are supposed to be working TOGETHER on the T-7 procurement,  not against each other. 

The AF never put out a requirement for an internal ladder in the signed contract.

And how does Boeing get so far into the development without calling the AF and saying "hey, did you want a crew ladder?"  They are (or were) the design "experts".  They didn't catch this?

Now it's too late and the "solution" is they will carry a portable ladder with them. And apparently, it will lean against the side of the jet because the side rails are not capable of hanging a T-38 style ladder there. 

How is the incompetence that bad on a $30M trainer?  Shameful.

Edited by HuggyU2

46 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

They are supposed to be working TOGETHER on the T-7 procurement,  not against each other. 

The AF never put out a requirement for an internal ladder in the signed contract.

And how does Boeing get so far into the development without calling the AF and saying "hey, did you want a crew ladder?"  They are (or were) the design "experts".  They didn't catch this?

Now it's too late and the "solution" is they will carry a portable ladder with them. And apparently, it will lean against the side of the jet because the side rails are not capable of hanging a T-38 style ladder there. 

The real question is was the Air Force/DoD this bad over 20 years ago and I just noticed it my later years or has it been getting worse and worse?  Either way, it’s not good.

15 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Go look at what Boeing has done with Wedgetail....selling the Air Force a piece of crap and overcharging for it.  AEW community could have done so much better but they have Stockholm syndrome and settled for the 20 year old shinny toy because E-3 was so bad.  Horrible company.

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/07/air-force-strikes-deal-with-boeing-for-e-7-wedgetail/

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:55 AM, ClearedHot said:

Go look at what Boeing has done with Wedgetail....selling the Air Force a piece of crap and overcharging for it.  AEW community could have done so much better but they have Stockholm syndrome and settled for the 20 year old shinny toy because E-3 was so bad.  Horrible company.

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/07/air-force-strikes-deal-with-boeing-for-e-7-wedgetail/

Just like the KC-767, the common wisdom was that buying something that already exists should’ve been a clean kill. Requirements creep destroyed that dream.

FWIW, everyone wanted the T-50 because it was already in service, but our acquisitions process would’ve  messed that up as much as the T-7. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2024 at 6:26 PM, HeloDude said:

The real question is was the Air Force/DoD this bad over 20 years ago and I just noticed it my later years or has it been getting worse and worse?  Either way, it’s not good.

It’s been this bad since about the 60s. Watch the pentagon wars - it’s probably the most accurately representative thing Hollywood has produced.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

It’s been this bad since about the 60s. Watch the pentagon wars - it’s probably the most accurately representative thing Hollywood has produced.

Oh I did a staff job many years ago with the acquisition/test world…that movie is like their “Top Gun” lol.

But seriously, this is what I don’t understand about even those on the right—they literally want us to spend more money on “defense” and desire more wars/conflict.  Talk about throwing more good money after bad.

• Upvote 1

The shoes pulled a fast one and changed 36-2903 to remove the verbiage allowing for a “given” or go-by name on flight suit name tags, essentially eliminating “call sign, last name” nametags. Now, it reads “first name last name”

They’re really not gonna be happy until every single shred of aircrew morale has been ripped away, are they?

Guess my middle name using ass is just gonna be illegal…

I haven’t even had the correct wings on my name tag for 2 years, so zero fucks given chief. Also make sure you ask about my lack of hat and blue lens sunglasses (that are on my cranium). Thankfully I don’t really run into a lot of those douches in the guard. 

Edited by brabus

3 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

The shoes pulled a fast one and changed 36-2903 to remove the verbiage allowing for a “given” or go-by name on flight suit name tags, essentially eliminating “call sign, last name” nametags. Now, it reads “first name last name”

They’re really not gonna be happy until every single shred of aircrew morale has been ripped away, are they?

Guess my middle name using ass is just gonna be illegal…

But you can still wear a morale nametag.

"Commanders may authorize the wear of morale nametags on Fridays or during special events. AFR and ANG commanders may authorize wear during weekend drills on Friday, Saturday, or Sundays or during special events."

56 minutes ago, Ebony zer said:

But you can still wear a morale nametag.

"Commanders may authorize the wear of morale nametags on Fridays or during special events. AFR and ANG commanders may authorize wear during weekend drills on Friday, Saturday, or Sundays or during special events."

Honestly that’s kind of besides the point. Point is some HAF shoe found out aircrew were doing something, and changed the rule to disallow them from doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is the example of the name tag "First Name Last Name" or does it explicitly say, " Nametag must display first name and last name."? If it's the former I'd say that's just an example like "John Doe." If it's the latter, easy, we just all change our legal names.