What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

16 hours ago, ViperMan said:

Tony Carr is of the ilk who believe that a leader needs to "take care of his people" no matter what - stated differently: he believes that no one he supervises could ever fuck up. Ever. Which is why all his fire is directed upwards.

A lot of fire in the USAF is deservedly aimed high. A lot of it should be aimed low, though, too. He just cannot accept that most basic fact. Even airmen (small a) can be dipshits.

Here's a hot take of mine...the "toxic leadership" people talk about all the time is way blown out of proportion. Sure, there are some truly toxic leaders, but because a leader wants you to follow a standard and doesn't kiss your ass in all things doesn't mean they're toxic.

When I was a punk kid, I watched some Discovery channel documentary about a bunch of students going through BUD/S (I think it was called "Class 234" or something along the lines). There is a scene during their phase 3 where one of the Officer students told trainees to do something and they didn't do it. Their cadre dude smoked everyone and then told them how this is how you create bad, micromanaging Officers. I was mad at my dad at the same time and that really struck me because it was a very similar thing that I hadn't done and now had to deal with consequences. I put the emo music on pause, cut my hair, put on Rocky 4 and started my journey to become a barrel chested freedom fighter (written from my office as I hide from my responsibilities in the office).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

I’ve seen a good number of white guys who have decided to practice Norse religion so they can get a religious exemption. I’m tempted to ask them about their beliefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Beards are kick ass.  Ask Chuck Norris.  I'm waiting for the Wing King brave enough to make a blanket beard waiver for their base and see what happens.

Toxic Leadership according to a 0.69" Google search, "a combination of self-centered attitudes, motivations, and behaviors that have adverse effects on subordinates, the organization, and mission performance."

The self-centered approach to leadership is what I've seen from the majority of senior leaders I've worked for, not to mention countless stories from the bros. I'm not saying it is done with malicious intent, but that hardly matters.

The desire to climb the ladder in coupled with the standard knee jerk reaction to prove to the boss that, "we're doing something" has bred this into the bobs. It's almost like they teach this at ACSC.

Working for a boss that gives a shit and you can trust implicitly is something I've experienced once.

Edited by Boomer6

3 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Yeah, but you would think holding people to the same standard, I don’t know, meant that we were “uniform” or something.  Oh well—I’m the old guy who is retired now.  

I get it.  Also the old guy.  I find myself with the same thoughts but then I think, all generations say the same thing.  Shits crazy now in my eyes but I'm positive all generations have said the same thing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Yeah, but you would think holding people to the same standard, I don’t know, meant that we were “uniform” or something.  Oh well—I’m the old guy who is retired now.  

What standard is that, AFR 35-10?  You could probably get a copy of that on your way to the cash cage in CBPO! 🤣

6 hours ago, uhhello said:

I get it.  Also the old guy.  I find myself with the same thoughts but then I think, all generations say the same thing.  Shits crazy now in my eyes but I'm positive all generations have said the same thing.  

It's been said by every generation ever.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/27/2024 at 9:28 AM, Skitzo said:

When base operators were a thing 1110

My first few deployments I didn't have email.   DSN 1110...."I'd like to make an off base call".  People were also waiting in line to use the phones.   Felt like a prison scene.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/25/2024 at 1:19 AM, O Face said:

Well the Germans sure thought he was a brilliant leader, so there’s that. And I’m pretty sure smacking a couple dudes was absolutely not his “sole idea for motivating his men” as one of his speeches was literally turned into one of the most famous movie monologues of all time. Go visit Bastogne sometime, all the shops in town with paintings and statues of Patton seem to have been pretty inspired too.  As for not understanding the people he led, his final wish was to be buried next to them in Luxembourg…Yeah, what an asshole. 

Given how awfully the Germans were at anything approaching strategic thinking, that isn't the compliment you think it is. I admit he had a great PR campaign, he definitely looked and acted like people thought a general should. MacArthur falls into this same category. Patton was just lucky compared to MacArthur in that he didn't have the opportunity to get publicly trounced (twice!) because his enemies actually had the ability to take the initiative.

On 6/25/2024 at 11:29 AM, Smokin said:

I'd rather be led by a dude that slaps a guy for not fighting than led by a dude that thinks some lint on your uniform is indicative of your military ability.

Patton was both those guys. We was fining troops in foxholes under active observation for not being clean shaven or not wearing a necktie. He had utter contempt for the citizen soldiers he was leading. If someone whose been wearing the uniform for 35 years can't understand why someone who was a baker's apprentice ten months before isn't as good at soldiering as he is, he isn't a good leader of Americans.

Edited by Stoker
  • Like 1

My first few deployments I didn't have email.   DSN 1110...."I'd like to make an off base call".  People were also waiting in line to use the phones.   Felt like a prison scene.  

Same also you got the hook after 15 mins IIRC.

1 hour ago, Stoker said:

Given how awfully the Germans were at anything approaching strategic thinking, that isn't the compliment you think it is. I admit he had a great PR campaign, he definitely looked and acted like people thought a general should. MacArthur falls into this same category. Patton was just lucky compared to MacArthur in that he didn't have the opportunity to get publicly trounced (twice!) because his enemies actually had the ability to take the initiative.

When your enemy is afraid of you, it is exactly the compliment I think it is. Please tell me more about what the cool, edgy, new professor at the zoo thought about the subject though.

Edited by O Face
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, herkbum said:

Am I remembering incorrectly, did AUTOVON precede DSN?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I never used or even heard of AUTOVON.    You old playa! 

Edit:  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovon#:~:text=AUTOVON used a numbering scheme,AUTOVON calls with operator assistance.

440px-AUTOVON_telephone_-_Telephone_Museum_-_Waltham_Massachusetts_agr.jpg.c07233332b349a051c65075b61830b73.jpg

Quick, somebody get General LeMay on the line. We need to  launch the Hustlers!

Edited by Biff_T
Research