Bentwaters Cold War Museum Needs Jets!

M2

OK guys, I have some Brit buds who volunteer at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum and they have been working every angle they can to get a static display A-10 and/or F-4C for their facility with no success, so they asked if I had any other ideas.

They've already contacted USAFE who tried getting the Spang BDR jet sold off to them as scrap, but the proposal never got anywhere and returning that particular airframe to display condition would have been too costly for the museum.

They also asked for a Hog via the NMUSAF, but that organization changed its loans legislation after 9/11 so that it does not provide artifacts to non-government based agencies outside of the US.

They've even tried getting one of the former 81 TFW F-4C's lying around at Torrejón AB in Spain, but no joy there as well.

The Imperial War Museum at Duxford, which has a Hog hanging from one of its hangar ceilings, supports their request; but the NMUSAF has been a brick wall on both an A-10 and a Phantom.

The BCWM is an accredited museum (same as Duxford) and has 4 ex-RAF jets in its collection...a Meteor, a Lightning, a Hunter and a Jaguar; so there's no reason not to let them have one. However, getting one has been a chore.

So I am reaching out to the collective wisdom of this forum, if anyone has any ideas that might help please share them.

Cheers! M2

HI all

Just to respond to the responses.

1) The Bentwaters Cold War museum is a UK museum, so we do not have a congressman. We have got some UK politicians on our side, but they have no sway with the US Govt.

2) As we are in the UK it would be finiancially un-viable to get an airframe from the US, however as far as I am aware there is a BDR A-10 at Spang, which the USAFE tried to secure for us, and there were 13 F-4's as Torrejon. All of these airframes are just a ferry and a drive away from the UK, so logistically these would not be too much of a problem, but they may give the UK customs a shock....

Thanks for your responses.

See www.bcwm.org.uk for details. :pow-mia:

Edited by bcwm