How do you feel about your airframe and mission?

innovator

6 hours ago, brabus said:

It helps that you’re doing awesome shit. Tons of people in the civ marketplace working 60+ hr weeks sitting at a desk. But yes, those days are happily behind me and I’m not working that shit unless it’s at war. 

Are those work hours the same in the guard? How much of those hours are actually related to flying vs queep?

The guard is definitely better. But long days still happen for upgrade rides, bigger events, etc. The queep seems very dependent on leadership - generally it was much worse on AD. Overall, there’s a reason a majority of the high performers punch from AD to ARC at their UPT commitment (e.g. why you see a shitlod of patches in many ANG FS)

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, H_G said:

Any update for AC/MC/HC-130 and U-28? Thanks

its busy, you're going to fly/tdy/deploy regularly. Once you join AFSOC its Hotel California, you can check out, but you'll never leave...do not expect outside opportunities save for weapons school, IDE, or command. New boss in the seat soon, don't expect much will change but hopefully the command will calm down a bit. The move to DM is coming, some hurdles still but it will open another PCS location CONUS that is not Cannon, so I guess that's good. 

Can't speak to HCs, but being a heavy driver in a fighter command, I wouldn't recommend, YMMV

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The unique thing with U-28 compared to the AC & MC within AFSOC is that that platform will begin draw down and replacement by OA-1K (Armed Overwatch platform) will start. Timeline isn't 100% but it's happening in the next few years. So if you go U-28, that'll be in your near future. PCS for initial cadre IP/ICSO's is starting soon for the FTU while OT/DT is getting going, as well. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Danger41 said:

The unique thing with U-28 compared to the AC & MC within AFSOC is that that platform will begin draw down and replacement by OA-1K (Armed Overwatch platform) will start. Timeline isn't 100% but it's happening in the next few years. So if you go U-28, that'll be in your near future. PCS for initial cadre IP/ICSO's is starting soon for the FTU while OT/DT is getting going, as well. 

...next few years (i.e. 3), ha!! based upon historical precedent...

And not unique...

for example AC-130Js drawdown: 

https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield-tech/2022/11/12/pentagon-quietly-downsizes-us-special-operations-fleet-of-gunships/

MC-130J conversions, and growth:

https://www.twz.com/retirement-of-mc-130h-speeds-up-mc-130j-low-flying-radar-upgrade

21 hours ago, Danger41 said:

OA-1K (Armed Overwatch platform)

Put me back in coach.  That will be a sick platform to fly.  

On 6/8/2024 at 4:38 PM, PlaneFlyGuy said:

@brabus Since you're recently active, I want to just shoot you a question here instead of making an entire new thread.

I'm 22 y/o and flying fighter jets in the guard has been a dream for about 10 years now. Everything I've done in my life has been to make myself competitive to be hired right out of college, whether that be the leadership roles I've taken on, maintaining a 3.9 GPA in engineering major, or whatever else to help me stand out.

For some reason, in the past two weeks I've started having significant doubts of the career path and lifestyle it entails for the first time ever. There's various things I can probably attribute to it, but one of them being that I've actually become a little excited about the job I have coming out of school for the first time... not necessarily because of the job itself, but because I'll start making good money and can dive into all the different outdoor adventures and hobbies the state offers.

I recently got an interview with a fighter unit in the guard. However, before I continue down this road and the big commitment, I am thinking that I should try out the 9-5 life first to make sure I really hate that before I keep trying for the guard since I'm now having these thoughts. I know the guard will likely make family life difficult, and I have a gut feeling that I may not enjoy that. My counter to this has always been that I want to live an incredible life and be proud of what I did so I'd have to make sacrifices, but now I am thinking that I can be proud of what I did through some other means (although maybe it will never be as great).

My whole life before this has been structured (go to school and that's it) and now I am faced with this major life decision. I feel like I'm going to burn the bridge by turning down the interview and it's likely now or never for this career, especially with all the cutbacks on UPT slots in the coming years for guard (boards are being cancelled right now).

Just curious if you would agree that if I am having any reservations about the career I should walk away for now, even if that means coming back and applying later on will be more difficult. Maybe it's because I've come so close to the finish line that I'm having these thoughts now, but I don't know if I should ignore it. I feel incredibly naive having not fully experienced being on my own in the world and seeing how it is first. Am I wrong for that? Everyone just seems to be calling me crazy for considering turning down an opportunity that only so few get and especially since they know I've worked so hard to get here.

Don’t know how I missed this, sorry dude. Hopefully it’s not too late, but I think what you’re feeling regarding the new civ job is normal - you’re excited at the “newness” and actually having a “real” job for the first time in your life. If you were a normal college student, it also probably feels like a shitload of money and perks. I’ve worked with tons of engineers and been around “that world” for years (from a pilot perspective) and guess what - lots of guys working late hours, “non-standard” times, Saturdays, etc. Especially newer guys - the grass is not always greener, just different.

I think you are likely to significantly regret passing up an interview in a year or two after the “exciting newness” wears off and your engineering job is just a paycheck to you. But, I think 9-5s are the worst thing I could ever have to do and I thank God I can do something else. I also feel like near 100% I know who work a 9-5 are not fulfilled at all and just work because something has to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. Fuck that - go on an adventure, life is too short with too many unknowns to waste your time playing Office Space (my subjective opinion of course). 

I’ll end with this thought: if your heart isn’t in something (especially flying professionally), then don’t do it. Flying is not “just a job,” like a 9-5 could be. If you’re still passionate about it after a gut check, then press forward, but if not, then maybe you are just the 9-5 type…and that’s not wrong, just not for me.

• Upvote 1

Every decision has an opportunity cost.  What you should do is try to figure out what things are important to you and then focus on those things.  If your family is good with you traveling a lot, and that important to you, take that job.  If being home consistently is vital to you and your family, a 9-5 job will help you achieve that goal.

Just don't be the guy that sacrifices the most important things in pursuit of less important things.  

So, the most important thing is identifying what thing is the most important!

2 hours ago, raimius said:

Just don't be the guy that sacrifices the most important things in pursuit of less important things.  

So, the most important thing is identifying what thing is the most important!

Just be clear on this, two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Pursuing mil aviation and placing high importance on family can occur simultaneously. You don’t need a 9-5 to have a solid family life. Not saying that’s what you are implying, but that could be inferred from your words.

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2024 at 11:05 PM, Swizzle said:

...next few years (i.e. 3), ha!! based upon historical precedent...

And not unique...

for example AC-130Js drawdown: 

https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield-tech/2022/11/12/pentagon-quietly-downsizes-us-special-operations-fleet-of-gunships/

MC-130J conversions, and growth:

https://www.twz.com/retirement-of-mc-130h-speeds-up-mc-130j-low-flying-radar-upgrade

I was actually teaching in the SOF WIC when both MC and AC shifts were happening. Frustrated me to no end that we could take A-10 guys that had never done anything with a radar or air to air beyond BFM and stick them in F-35 and TX them in a couple months whereas AFSOC in their infinite wisdom had no short course available to AC-W/U guys going to the J and they were out of pocket for almost a year. 

And copy the historical precedent for iron shifts taking longer than expected, but the first guys are PCS’ing in a few weeks and the second and third tranches are already ID’d (I was in the second until I went elsewhere). I don’t know what the final solution will look like with OA-1 vs U-28 or when, but the notion that it won’t happen or isn’t imminent is incorrect. 

• Like 2

Just be clear on this, two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Pursuing mil aviation and placing high importance on family can occur simultaneously. You don’t need a 9-5 to have a solid family life. Not saying that’s what you are implying, but that could be inferred from your words.

Thank you for this answer brabus, I think I speak for a few people when I say it’s hard to contemplate if you’re going to be able to be there for things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/28/2024 at 9:08 PM, Danger41 said:

I was actually teaching in the SOF WIC when both MC and AC shifts were happening. Frustrated me to no end that we could take A-10 guys that had never done anything with a radar or air to air beyond BFM and stick them in F-35 and TX them in a couple months whereas AFSOC in their infinite wisdom had no short course available to AC-W/U guys going to the J and they were out of pocket for almost a year. 

And copy the historical precedent for iron shifts taking longer than expected, but the first guys are PCS’ing in a few weeks and the second and third tranches are already ID’d (I was in the second until I went elsewhere). I don’t know what the final solution will look like with OA-1 vs U-28 or when, but the notion that it won’t happen or isn’t imminent is incorrect. 

Base Decision Memorandum has been signed!

9 hours ago, Jay32 said:

if you’re going to be able to be there for things.

You will miss things, but you will also make things. The quality of time you spend with family is entirely within one’s control.

5 hours ago, brabus said:

You will miss things, but you will also make things. The quality of time you spend with family is entirely within one’s control.

That's assuming a non-working spouse or a spouse within a certain scope of employment. I know more than a few dudes/dudettes who've spent years apart from their family because they got told go to minot, dyess, Vance, overseas, unaccompanied, etc. 

The military is the one job you can't walk away from when they tell you to go someplace undesirable to you. And your family will make sacrifices in some way be it quality time, career, extended family, etc.

@LiquidSky I’ll say it again, the quality of time spent with one’s family is entirely controllable. That also applies to your spouse. I don’t recommend marrying someone who says GFY, I’ll only live in X. Guys who marry that chick will likely not have a great family QOL…but it was a choice they were not forced to make. 

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Does anybody here know what the OA-1s role would look like in a future near-peer conflict? I can’t imagine it will have a super big one in that case

The same as the role of the HH-60, MV-22, C-130, C-17, roro ships, landing craft, infantry fighting vehicles and every other platform or logistics entity that we have to deliver sustained combat power: Complete the mission that the pointy stealth aircraft allowed to happen.  In the air force specifically OCA, DCA, and SEAD assets capable of existing in a high threat environment are the zambonis of warfare: They exist to create the environment for the real politics by other means to start occurring.  You can't win the war them alone, but you can't win the war without them.  Measuring every asset by it's ability to survive in a high threat environment is a false premise.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Does anybody here know what the OA-1s role would look like in a future near-peer conflict? 

Something like this:

independence_day_russell_1.0.thumb.jpg.1dfd05eea133a50d41900b41fe22dab6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

The mission that inspired this whole thing. It’ll do stuff like this far away from Peer conflict.

If you’re so inclined, the body cam footage from Sgt Jeremiah Johnson is out there where he gets wounded and eventually executed from point blank by an ISIS fighter. I can only speak for myself, but if that video doesn’t motivate you to be the most lethal aviator you can be, I don’t know what will.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 7:46 AM, Danger41 said:

... but if that video doesn’t motivate you to be the most lethal aviator you can be, I don’t know what will.

...and if it doesn't inspire you to never trust African partners with your life, watch it again.

Edited by FourFans

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

The mission that inspired this whole thing. It’ll do stuff like this far away from Peer conflict.

If you’re so inclined, the body cam footage from Sgt Jeremiah Johnson is out there where he gets wounded and eventually executed from point blank by an ISIS fighter. I can only speak for myself, but if that video doesn’t motivate you to be the most lethal aviator you can be, I don’t know what will.

Even if those guys had armed overwatch, there was a political calculation to not arm the overwatch on that AO at that time.

If US troops or citizens are on the ground with ISR overhead, that ISR should ALWAYS be armed.  How many times do we have to learn the same lesson?  A deliberate decision to take hellfires off an MQ9 or other assets when that aircraft is headed to support a ground team is criminal command malfeasance in my opinion.  If a politician orders it, GOs should resign in protest but the ugly truth is that many GOs issue those restrictions without ever asking to launch aircraft armed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5