The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Yeah the CAL/UAL one was a nasty one at my squadron back in 2011-2013. We had a boatload that took long MLOA while the lists integrated. Pretty heated stuff among so called squadronmates. A bit embarassing as an external observer tbh, given the fact they had no control over the process, and the personal aspersions were nothing more than impotent rage. Things settled as they always do, the world moved on, and they're still richer today than yesterday and will retire as multimillionaries anyways. Boo hoo.

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2024 at 9:57 PM, Lord Ratner said:

"Career expectations" is the factor that few people consider, but matters the most in the integrations. 

That happened in the 2008 NWA/DAL merger.  DAL in 2004 experienced a mass exodus of their senior pilots to capture what they had in their retirement with a looming BK.  Their junior pilots advanced ahead of what would have been their normal progression vs NWA pilots hired years earlier when the 2008 integration occurred using career expectations.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:21 PM, brabus said:

Ouch, that sucks. But at least you can forget about those days and go rip around in an RV!

Long forgotten as my goal was to retire early anyway.  Stayed single in a target rich environment, no kids, lived well BYM, and retired at 59.  Enjoyed the job but have never missed it. 

Multi millionaire DAL brother in-law recently found out he has cancer two years passed age 65 retirement.  Changes everything.

CIMG4508.JPG

Edited by Springer
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Springer said:

Long forgotten as my goal was to retire early anyway.  Stayed single in a target rich environment, no kids, lived well BYM, and retired at 59.  Enjoyed the job but have never missed it. 

Multi millionaire DAL brother in-law recently found out he has cancer two years passed age 65 retirement.  Changes everything.

Bravo to you Springer!

You last point is spot on!   I lost my Dad to cancer, just 1.5 years into retirement at age 65.  Left me with the regret of missing out on so much while working two jobs, and being TDY/deployed.  It certainly changed my entire outlook on life and has greatly impacted how I live my life now.  Still saving obviously, but building wealth in a way that will allow me to work less/play more in my working days and retire early if I want.  Picked up the book Die with Zero, which I highly recommend, that talks a lot about this very subject.  As an aside, a buddy's wife is a partner in a wealth management firm and gives this book to all their new clients.   Carpe Diem! 

Break break

Anyone else noticing an increasing trend of angry controllers out there?  Got yelled at a few days ago for something trivial and against long standing norms.  Yesterday had a ground controller that sounded like he was at the end of his rope and yelling at pilots, when he wasn't clear and issuing non-standard instructions.  Just a few examples of many I've seen lately.  Wondering if the hammer is dropping on controllers after all the close calls we've seen lately.  Either way, watch yoself out there and keep the ASAP link handy lol.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

While I hate to see us drawing down in a market, I'll be glad to not be flying there as much.  ATC and our rampers there are top notch.  But as soon as that door opened, nothing pleasant happened.  Our customer-facing staff there are not good - borderline aggressive toward customers and crew members.  Obviously it's not across the board, but I rarely had a pleasant experience on the C concourse of ATL.

It sucks for the folks based there. I hope their QOL-shift is minimal.  But there's no way SWA's product could seriously compete in Delta's hometown. 

1 hour ago, FUSEPLUG said:

While I hate to see us drawing down in a market, I'll be glad to not be flying there as much.  ATC and our rampers there are top notch.  But as soon as that door opened, nothing pleasant happened.  Our customer-facing staff there are not good - borderline aggressive toward customers and crew members.  Obviously it's not across the board, but I rarely had a pleasant experience on the C concourse of ATL.

It sucks for the folks based there. I hope their QOL-shift is minimal.  But there's no way SWA's product could seriously compete in Delta's hometown. 

Yes, ATL has few redeeming features.  If I deal with attitude from a gate agents, it's in ATL.  If I'm getting a long delay for wheels up time, it's into/out of ATL.  If I'm getting slowed 150 miles out and vectored off the arrival multiple times, it's in ATL.  If I'm getting nitpicked by a major asshole of a ground controller, it's in ATL (he was gone, but I heard he, or his disciple, is back). If I'm playing human bumper cars in a tight ass terminal, it's ATL.  If I'm being greeted at food/coffee counter by a blank stare or a whachu want, it's in ATL.  If I'm getting my nice rotation blown up to one of the shittiest reroutes into an off day...it nearly always when I go through ATL.  In case I wasn't clear enough, my bid now includes avoid if landings in ATL.  :thefinger:

Hate to see the SWA bros get displaced out of their base, commuting is the single worst thing about this job.  Fuse, are they going to pump up BNA numbers to help absorb displacements?  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Hate to see the SWA bros get displaced out of their base, commuting is the single worst thing about this job.  Fuse, are they going to pump up BNA numbers to help absorb displacements?  

Not sure on how displacements will fall quite yet. SWAPA is working the numbers. Our schedule research guys are on it and are great about getting the projections out there when the company won’t. 

That being said, our D terminal in BNA is expanding further to the east. I was surprised by the construction going in there last week having been away a month or so. All indications are that we’ll be continuing to ramp up there. 

It’s hard to speculate, but I won’t be surprised if we don’t see further drawbacks in the near term…then sudden panic in a year or two when we don’t have the manpower.  It’s like the place is run by a bunch of AF guys.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SocialD said:

Break break

Anyone else noticing an increasing trend of angry controllers out there?  Got yelled at a few days ago for something trivial and against long standing norms.  Yesterday had a ground controller that sounded like he was at the end of his rope and yelling at pilots, when he wasn't clear and issuing non-standard instructions.  Just a few examples of many I've seen lately.  Wondering if the hammer is dropping on controllers after all the close calls we've seen lately.  Either way, watch yoself out there and keep the ASAP link handy lol.  

A few have been more surly than normal but still get the occasional "Alohaaaaa" controller at Jax Center.  I understand the original guy retired and someone picked up the flag. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2024 at 5:19 PM, SocialD said:

Yes, ATL has few redeeming features.  If I deal with attitude from a gate agents, it's in ATL.  If I'm getting a long delay for wheels up time, it's into/out of ATL.  If I'm getting slowed 150 miles out and vectored off the arrival multiple times, it's in ATL.  If I'm getting nitpicked by a major asshole of a ground controller, it's in ATL (he was gone, but I heard he, or his disciple, is back). If I'm playing human bumper cars in a tight ass terminal, it's ATL.  If I'm being greeted at food/coffee counter by a blank stare or a whachu want, it's in ATL.  If I'm getting my nice rotation blown up to one of the shittiest reroutes into an off day...it nearly always when I go through ATL.  In case I wasn't clear enough, my bid now includes avoid if landings in ATL.  :thefinger:

Dude, you just described EWR.

PS. My use of the term dude is uni-whatever and applies to man/woman/it.  Why do I say this?  I read some AK/HI duking it out on APC and apparently, calling someone Dude was akin to a societal travesty.  Surely we are more normal over here, right?

Edited by disgruntledemployee
changed Delta to AK/HI
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

PS. My use of the term dude is uni-whatever and applies to man/woman/it.  Why do I say this?  I read some Delters duking it out on APC and apparently, calling someone Dude was akin to a societal travesty.  Surely we are more normal over here, right?

Lol wut?  Ima have to go find that one.  But it is the internet, they'll argue about anything.  

17 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Dude, you just described EWR.

PS. My use of the term dude is uni-whatever and applies to man/woman/it.  Why do I say this?  I read some Delters duking it out on APC and apparently, calling someone Dude was akin to a societal travesty.  Surely we are more normal over here, right?

I always get a kick out of saying "dude" to someone, which I use ubiquitously like you do, and realizing from the response that some captain has his panties in a wad from being called dude instead of "Captain." 

There's a subset of these tools that refer to each other online by "first officer" and "captain" in every interaction. Obviously you don't see a lot of the ex-military guys doing it, because they all realize that their airline title doesn't represent a fraction of what their military title (as a bunch of drunk twenty-something year olds) represented. But it's still strange to watch.

• Like 1

@Lord Ratner Please tell me if you fly with one of those you then say something like, “my apologies Captain dude.” Never have flown with a dude who wants to be addressed as captain, but I don’t doubt they’re out there. Seems to be fleet dependent a lot at DAL, at least from bro rumors.

25 minutes ago, brabus said:

@Lord Ratner Please tell me if you fly with one of those you then say something like, “my apologies Captain dude.” Never have flown with a dude who wants to be addressed as captain, but I don’t doubt they’re out there. Seems to be fleet dependent a lot at DAL, at least from bro rumors.

Capt/FO dude/chick is what you meant to say I'm sure.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brabus said:

They never have the nuts to demand it in person. 

The only time I address someone (or myself) with the airline title is when calling a pilot I've never spoken to, since it immediately establishes the call as work-related. 

My apologies to Delters, the APC thread I mentioned regarding "dude" was the AK/HI seniority integration chat.  Before that I was reading about the decapitated 900 by the Big D 350 where a few were arguing it was the RJs fault for being in the way.  I got the two confused I suppose.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/alaska/148253-ha-sli-discussion.html

Edited by disgruntledemployee

28 minutes ago, disgruntledemployee said:

My apologies to Delters, the APC thread I mentioned regarding "dude" was the AK/HI seniority integration chat.  Before that I was reading about the decapitated 900 by the Big D 350 where a few were arguing it was the RJs fault for being in the way.  I got the two confused I suppose.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/alaska/148253-ha-sli-discussion.html

lol, I also read the Delta thread where they were calling out the RJ for not pulling all the way up.  It does drive me nuts when folks don’t pull up to the line, and I’ve also looked down at internal stuff during busy ops and regretted it so I’m not throwing spears at the Delta crew who taxied into the RJ; there but by the grace of God go I etc.

However, we all know if you taxi into something it’s your ass unless overwhelming circumstances prove otherwise.  Ridiculous to see 10,000+ hour professional aviators argue differently.  A lot of APC is ridiculous because all pilots who didn’t fly military are incapable of taking a debrief.  There I said it.  Just try to give a bit of constructive criticism to one of the ‘CFI to Regional to Mainline’ folks, holy shit.  I do remember what it’s like to have feelings, but was I really this defensive and lame all the time??  

54 minutes ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Depends.  How many IPs called you out for quibbling?

Many and they were right; eventually my brain got hammered into the right shape.  Which they did a great job at, only took one assignment.  Dude I’ve given a lot of debriefs as IP/EP that weren’t well received due to my non-empathetic tactless delivery or they took shit too personally.  If you’re reading on this site you’ve likely given/received the same.  I was surprised to discover the civ world is a whole different level.  That is all.

• Thanks 1