GA Aircraft Flown

HuggyU2

10 hours ago, SocialD said:

Best of luck to Van's, they've done more to advance GA than most.  I have a buddy building a 12 right now who works for Van's remotely, will be interesting to see who it's going for him.  Thankfully, I think he has the entire kit already.  

Quoting someone else that I totally agree with, "Now he’s coming out of retirement and throwing his own money at the problem to try to save what he built, and I’m sure, his legacy. It’s a sad deal."

Been associated with Van's for 35 years:  

Embedded8e6f654d2ff84b64a65a43b92b328786.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• 5 months later...

Took the A-37 out for an FCF and then a cross country flight of 440 nm on Thursday.  First flight since Sept and it flew great. Owner put on an additional set of drop tanks. 
IMG_1288.thumb.jpeg.823536dd37b45a54d1bdffcc42b69069.jpegIMG_4437.thumb.jpeg.fd21cbcab6eb2581380404e05c6a324e.jpegIMG_0992.thumb.jpeg.afc4b18b3e3d1b9fe5fcf2b19ec47d3b.jpeg

• Like 21

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 8:34 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Took the A-37 out for an FCF and then a cross country flight of 440 nm on Thursday.  First flight since Sept and it flew great. Owner put on an additional set of drop tanks. 

Great work Huggy...lookin' like a real A-37 now:

A-37 Honduras.png

Edited by Springer
  • Upvote 4

What kind of legs does the A37 have with internal tanks? And, with the 2 drop tanks on each side?

In ACE flying the regular tweet, we'd shoot for around 350 miles or so and sometimes stretch to 400nm legs. You'd have to go high 23 to 25K to be safe on the 400 mile plan. I'd imagine the A37 is a little more thirsty so even with more fuel it might not go much over 450nm or so? Thats gotta be a blast Huggy.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, bfargin said:

What kind of legs does the A37 have with internal tanks? And, with the 2 drop tanks on each side?

In ACE flying the regular tweet, we'd shoot for around 350 miles or so and sometimes stretch to 400nm legs. You'd have to go high 23 to 25K to be safe on the 400 mile plan. I'd imagine the A37 is a little more thirsty so even with more fuel it might not go much over 450nm or so? Thats gotta be a blast Huggy.

Thinking around 690 nm as I flew regularly with WG/CC between DMAFB and Bergstrom (Austin) with 4 drop tanks.  Never flew it in any other configuration.  Carries more external fuel than internal.  Flew non stop New Orleans to Honduras (see pic) but we AAR'd on the way.  

Huggy is going to love the plane.  I felt comfortable in it after one flight.  When down to internal fuel it would fly up it's own a$$hole.  Closed patterns were basically Immelmanns.  UPT grads were getting FAC (OA-37/OV-10) assignments with a guaranteed fighter afterwards.  Guy in pic went to F-15's, retired DAL CA now.  Good looking guy on the right flew RF-4C's prior.  What's an IR/VR route?  🙂  Fun times back then.

Edited by Springer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Springer said:

Thinking around 690 nm as I flew regularly with WG/CC between DMAFB and Bergstrom (Austin) with 4 drop tanks.  Never flew it in any other configuration.  Carries more external fuel than internal.  Flew non stop New Orleans to Honduras (see pic) but we AAR'd on the way.  

Huggy is going to love the plane.  I felt comfortable in it after one flight.  When down to internal fuel it would fly up it's own a$$hole.  Closed patterns were basically Immelmanns.  UPT grads were getting FAC (OA-37/OV-10) assignments with a guaranteed fighter afterwards.  Guy in pic went to F-15's, retired DAL CA now.  Good looking guy on the right flew RF-4C's prior.  What's an IR/VR route?  🙂  Fun times back then.

Good looking guy on the right had some beautiful television preacher hair back then!  Well done, Sir!!  Thanks for sharing the photos. 

Edited by O Face

8 hours ago, Springer said:

You could AAR in a A-37? I didn't know that.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Danger41 said:

You could AAR in a A-37? I didn't know that.

Yes, from both the -135 & KC-10.  Only USAF a/c at the time ('80's) that did probe/drogue, fun but challenging.  Once plugged you had to offset the a/c left or right to put a "S" bend in the hose to keep from disconnecting.  Early on we were getting poor connections with massive hose leaks.  On one flt with a student the leak was so bad we went IFR...he pulled back without realigning. When we disconnected the hose aligned with the right intake pouring fuel into the engine, flaming it out.  Down we went.

Huggy has connections...bet he can get tanker support for his trip to OSH.  I can be his IP, no charge.

Navy F18 doing the same offset:

Edited by Springer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Springer said:

Yes, from both the -135 & KC-10.

Do you recall the airspeed by any chance? Curious if toboggan was required. 

Also looking at some photos, with the probe and external fuel lines it gave an appearance of a snorkel and goggles. 

Do you know if the AAR equipment was configurable, could it be added or removed per mission? Again, the external appearance hints that it could potentially be a straight forward configuration swap. 

5 hours ago, Springer said:

Yes, from both the -135 & KC-10.  Only USAF a/c at the time ('80's) that did probe/drogue, fun but challenging.  Once plugged you had to offset the a/c left or right to put a "S" bend in the hose to keep from disconnecting.  Early on we were getting poor connections with massive hose leaks.  On one flt with a student the leak was so bad we went IFR...he pulled back without realigning. When we disconnected the hose aligned with the right intake pouring fuel into the engine, flaming it out.  Down we went.

Had you ever had the opportunity to get gas from a Herk?  Never been on the receiving end of probe and drogue, but feedback I’d heard from receivers was that the response mechanism behind a hydraulic reel was light years better than the Iron Maiden.

@VMFA187 can probably give color commentary.

5 hours ago, AC&W said:

Not today China!  Lol

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, BFM this said:

Had you ever had the opportunity to get gas from a Herk?  Never been on the receiving end of probe and drogue, but feedback I’d heard from receivers was that the response mechanism behind a hydraulic reel was light years better than the Iron Maiden.

@VMFA187 can probably give color commentary.

The KC-130 and KC-10 were easy, provided there was no turbulence. If there was turbulence give me that heavy ass 135 basket any day. But you definitely had to put that kink in the hose or you'd fall out continually. 

The 135 had/has a bad rap I think because it was more difficult to stay in once you plugged, and there wasn't much room for error once you were in the basket vice the 10 and 130 which could prove problematic given the heft of the basket. 

The only thing odd about tanking on the 130 was you were flying 230KCAS in the high teens, so much higher AOA and less throttle response. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, AC&W said:

Also looking at some photos, with the probe and external fuel lines it gave an appearance of a snorkel and goggles. 

Do you know if the AAR equipment was configurable, could it be added or removed per mission? Again, the external appearance hints that it could potentially be a straight forward configuration swap. 

I don't remember the airspeed but we did the standard tanker rejoins in the AAR track like the Phantom and had no problems staying with the tanker.  I gave all my Dragonfly stuff to Huggy so he might know.  All ours had the AAR equipment when we received the planes from the Guard/Reserve (that was a first) and put the O-2A's in the Boneyard.

For the younger guys, in the late '70's there were massive AF DOS's as the airlines were hiring...think deregulation.  But then almost overnight all the airlines began furloughing ('81) and the AF wanted us back.  We could almost write our own orders...I didn't want to go back to Recce and thought the OA-37 at DMAFB would be cool.  I was right and after a 4 year commitment, went back to the airlines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

The KC-130 and KC-10 were easy, provided there was no turbulence. If there was turbulence give me that heavy ass 135 basket any day. But you definitely had to put that kink in the hose or you'd fall out continually. 

The 135 had/has a bad rap I think because it was more difficult to stay in once you plugged, and there wasn't much room for error once you were in the basket vice the 10 and 130 which could prove problematic given the heft of the basket. 

The only thing odd about tanking on the 130 was you were flying 230KCAS in the high teens, so much higher AOA and less throttle response. 

Just imagine if you had to do refueling in turbulence connected to a boom, staying in an envelope, like USAF pilots do…

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Just imagine if you had to do refueling in turbulence connected to a boom, staying in an envelope, like USAF pilots do…

Yeah, sucks to get things plugged into you I would imagine. Sorry dude. 

Or are you talking about “formation flying?”

EAD.

Edited by VMFA187
  • Like 1

The KC-97 was often challenging if at Night and with reduced visibility.   Had to lock out the Slats to prevent there cycling as our speed was so slow.  So it was a wallow.  Additionally, we would refuel in a slow descent.  USAFE operations required to be Mission Ready you need 4 successful refuelings.  2 135s, Day and Night, and 2 97s. But if your first in house (USAFE) was a Night 97 and you could demonstrate abilities, then the other 3 were waived.  

KC-97.jpeg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SHFP said:

But back on Subject of “GA Aircraft Flown”…. Bought myself my last GA Toy🤡

IMG_8290.jpeg

IMG_8866.jpeg

Damn fine looking machine!  Enjoy what it brings!