Finally done in Afghanistan?

FourFans

On 4/18/2024 at 10:36 PM, Prosuper said:

Today watching Tim Pool he informed his audience that You Tube has deleted some of his shows for violating You Tube rules. Who owns You Tube , Google does, what are the two biggest share holders of Google, Vanguard and Blackrock. In fact look at every major media corporation who are the two largest shareholders, the same. They almost have controlling interest in every Fortune 500 corporation. It will be just like 2016 again with alternate media types getting deplatformed for fact checking the mainstream media. Don't even get me started on the on the military industrial complex and who has majority interest.  

https://www.wired.com/story/right-wing-influencer-network-tenet-media-allegedly-spread-russian-disinformation/

a man and a woman are standing next to each other and talking .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 1:59 PM, polcat said:

I'll second your recommendation on this book. I just finished the read and am not surprised, especially while I was in Kuwait during the NEO. How we let our Afghani comrades behind and the overall sh1tshow of the withdrawal is an understatement of the century.

I have a controversial take on this, so I’ll just ask: did we ever have an obligation to evacuate them?  Did they have an obligation to fight for their own country?  Why did anyone have the impression we would take them to the US if they failed to secure their own country?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

I have a controversial take on this, so I’ll just ask: did we ever have an obligation to evacuate them?  Did they have an obligation to fight for their own country?  Why did anyone have the impression we would take them to the US if they failed to secure their own country?

While I agree with the overall premise, these people volunteered to help us on the promise we would see the war through (like with Japan and Germany). We didn't. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

No, Yes of course, not sure 

I know this, the whole world watched us F that situation away. If you were an emergent regional power and you saw that, how much faith would you have in the United States?

It’s no wonder you are seeing the rise of coalitions like BRICS. We have become a laughing stock. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

The Afghans that the U.S. intended to evacuate were those that held U.S. passports or had a Special Immigrant Visa (SIV), both of which were issued to Afghans that had provided assistance to the U.S. for a number of years at significant personal risk to them and their families. These are people that we definitely had an obligation to evacuate, hell we gave them the documents to come to the U.S.

Of course, that all fell apart when the entire city of Kabul rushed to HKIA. Of the tens of thousands that were NEO’d from Afghanistan, only a portion of that population was the target group of evacuees. Many had no documentation whatsoever (best case had an Afghan passport). We definitely left U.S. passport holders and SIVs behind, while others got a lucky ride out.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

While I agree with the overall premise, these people volunteered to help us on the promise we would see the war through (like with Japan and Germany). We didn't. 

They had an obligation to fight, and they didn't.  There were certainly individual acts of valor and individual members who were invested (one dude was shot down, disguised himself as taliban and walked 90 miles back HKIA and continued fighting; he's now a sensor operator for a firefighting company in Montana).  But in aggregate, GIRoA and the ANA/AAF were not good faith partners. And not just in some ethereal policy level strategic sense, I mean at the member level they'd use A29s to bring honey back from their bee farms in Fayzabad instead of sitting alert for TICs.  And when the city was invaded they left their families to the fates, stole planes and fled.  Can you imagine doing something so cowardly yourself?  Guessing you'd struggle to even comprehend that level of douchebaggary.

34 minutes ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

The Afghans that the U.S. intended to evacuate were those that held U.S. passports or had a Special Immigrant Visa (SIV), both of which were issued to Afghans that had provided assistance to the U.S. for a number of years at significant personal risk to them and their families. These are people that we definitely had an obligation to evacuate, hell we gave them the documents to come to the U.S.

Of course, that all fell apart when the entire city of Kabul rushed to HKIA. Of the tens of thousands that were NEO’d from
Afghanistan, only a portion of that population was the target group of evacuees. Many had no documentation whatsoever (best case had an Afghan passport). We definitely left U.S. passport holders and SIVs behind, while others got a lucky ride out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I typed a long response and realized I remain to angry about the situation to have a constructive discussion. Suffice to say 1- 3% of people evacuated meet your above criteria; the vast majority were criminals (purposefully bussed from prisons by the Taliban to flood the airfield), AWOL military members, government bureaucrats, and randoms.  Imagine watching 50 commandos throw down their weapons and run from 3 guys in a truck and I'm not allowed to shoot the truck... WTF.  Same thing happened in Mosul when ISIS invaded in 2014 (large & well equipped Iraqi army threw away weapons and ran from a minimal enemy force) although this one was more dramatic and at scale.  I feel nothing but contempt for those people, and certainly no obligation to bring them CONUS.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

I feel nothing but contempt for those people, and certainly no obligation to bring them CONUS.

Could you imagine if we had 80,000 Afghans who fought the Taliban as hard as they fought to get a ride out of Kabul? We'd have won the war in 2005.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

22 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

If you didn't read the book that was referenced then your take makes sense. It describes specific AFGAN SOF members and interpreters that saved american lives that the US granted SIVs to, groups of young women, as well as US citizens.

Yes, I think we have/had an obligation to help those specific individuals. They were abandoned by their government and their MIL leadership, and by all accounts resisted to their utmost.

How we porked away not prioritizing their evacuation first, or only their evacuation is mind boggling. I definitely agree the knee pad wearers deciding who was allowed on our jets went full retard.

Anybody see the Taliban parade at Bagram the other day? Why oh why we didn't drop a present on the reviewing stand is beyond me. The official headline would be "Car Bomb Detonates Near Taliban Leadership During Parade" Just to remind them what can happen.

4 hours ago, fire4effect said:

Anybody see the Taliban parade at Bagram the other day? Why oh why we didn't drop a present on the reviewing stand is beyond me. The official headline would be "Car Bomb Detonates Near Taliban Leadership During Parade" Just to remind them what can happen.

My favorite video is the Taliban Blackhawk crashing.    They had that beast flying for a few months until Allah pulled it into the dirt.