Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

What's the collateral for a credit card, @ViperMan?

I mean, the owner of the card has a right to an unsecured loan, that's the idea behind unsecured loans. The creditor has rights by law, but there's no collateral?

And what about all the leverage buyouts for equity stakes? The 'collateral' is the firm you purchase, but does a bank seize the firm when the shareholders don't pay their debts? What's the bank do with the firm?

I get that no one here works in finance, but banks create unsecured credit at every moment of every minute of every day. Saying "banks don't work that way" is incorrect.

2 hours ago, Random Guy said:

What's the collateral for a credit card, @ViperMan?

I mean, the owner of the card has a right to an unsecured loan, that's the idea behind unsecured loans. The creditor has rights by law, but there's no collateral?

And what about all the leverage buyouts for equity stakes? The 'collateral' is the firm you purchase, but does a bank seize the firm when the shareholders don't pay their debts? What's the bank do with the firm?

I get that no one here works in finance, but banks create unsecured credit at every moment of every minute of every day. Saying "banks don't work that way" is incorrect.

Mods, any chance of moving the “money isn’t real” discussion to its own thread? I’d like to ask Random Guy what happens if a bank creates money out of thin air to buy a bird (obviously not real) that flies towards the edge of the flat earth… I think it might derail the Ukraine discussion, though.

20 hours ago, Random Guy said:

Mod away. Enjoy being "unable to afford" your Ukraine aid because of the "unsustainable debt burden" for another 50 pages 🤣

Is it your contention that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could be most aptly described as agrarian pre-capitalist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Is it your contention that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the southern colonies, could be most aptly described as agrarian pre-capitalist?

Of course he thinks that, he’s a first year grad student (with a shit haircut).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

The buffer zone encapsulated by the 3 wrecked bridges, just to keep the scale in context. I wouldn’t call it a land grab of major strategic importance other than forcing Russia to divert resources. Still a great example of how even a modest use of air power in the right place can overwhelm an enemy’s ability to fight.

IMG_2299.jpeg

4 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

The buffer zone encapsulated by the 3 wrecked bridges, just to keep the scale in context. I wouldn’t call it a land grab of major strategic importance other than forcing Russia to divert resources. Still a great example of how even a modest use of air power in the right place can overwhelm an enemy’s ability to fight.

IMG_2299.jpeg

bUt RuSsiA Is WiNnInG!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, M2 said:

image.png.036fa3b0594c6a790af0b48e603ba459.png

He said he had a "feeling" they wouldn't make it... yet, I bet not one single solitary moment of self-reflection that perhaps that his absolutely rabid support and pressure to fund and intensify the war directly resulted in the death of these two pilots. God rest their souls.

Adam is a pilot. Ukraine needs two more pilots. Just sayin.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 8/30/2024 at 8:51 AM, gearhog said:

yet, I bet not one single solitary moment of self-reflection that perhaps that his absolutely rabid support and pressure to fund and intensify the war directly resulted in the death of these two pilots.

Seriously, if it wasn't for US aid to Ukraine these guys could have been living happily in a Siberian gulag by now, while the country they believed in was ground into dust by a nuclear-armed gas station doing a Soviet Union speedrun.

Edited by Stoker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Stoker said:

Seriously, if it wasn't for US aid to Ukraine these guys could have been living happily in a Siberian gulag by now, while the country they believed in was ground into dust by a nuclear-armed gas station doing a Soviet Union speedrun.

Yeah, if they would have just submitted....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Blue said:

This is about a two and a half hour video from Tucker Carlson.

It honestly looks to be pretty interesting, but can you give us more than just a link?  Some cliffs notes or something?

I'm not giving Tucker Carlson two and a half minutes, let alone two and half hours...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

I'm not giving Tucker Carlson two and a half minutes, let alone two and half hours...

Tucker has always been ahead of the curve on domestic issues, and almost always wrong on international ones. 

But you can't really expect someone to be right about everything, can you?

• Upvote 1

Tucker's interviewing. Jeffrey Sachs offers analysis on the whole system surrounding our constant desire to be in a war type stance. Mr Sachs speaks to our pretty constant interference in foreign affairs even when it really doesn't benefit us. The fact we have no coherent foreign policy due to our constant turnover in leadership and so obviously the non-elected bureaucrats end up having significantly more decision making power then our system was designed for. Speaks to what some on here will definitely disagree with in our commitments to Russia on Ukraine and NATO. Our (USA) failure to abide by many commitments we've made to both our allies and to potential threat countries over the years. He draws on his 35 plus years of foreign policy reporting. You might not agree with everything but he knows his stuff even if he also has his own biases.

The coverage includes speaking about Cuba, Taiwan, China, Russia, Venezuela, NATO, Iran, Israel ...

I watched on 1.25 speed and it was worth the watch if you're interested in our foreign policy and implications to our actions (most of the time) and inaction (very occasionally). Again, nobody is perfectly rational without any bias, but Mr Sachs presents a pretty balanced review/summary of the past 50 years or so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, bfargin said:

Tucker's interviewing. Jeffrey Sachs offers analysis on the whole system surrounding our constant desire to be in a war type stance. Mr Sachs speaks to our pretty constant interference in foreign affairs even when it really doesn't benefit us. The fact we have no coherent foreign policy due to our constant turnover in leadership and so obviously the non-elected bureaucrats end up having significantly more decision making power then our system was designed for. Speaks to what some on here will definitely disagree with in our commitments to Russia on Ukraine and NATO. Our (USA) failure to abide by many commitments we've made to both our allies and to potential threat countries over the years. He draws on his 35 plus years of foreign policy reporting. You might not agree with everything but he knows his stuff even if he also has his own biases.

The coverage includes speaking about Cuba, Taiwan, China, Russia, Venezuela, NATO, Iran, Israel ...

I watched on 1.25 speed and it was worth the watch if you're interested in our foreign policy and implications to our actions (most of the time) and inaction (very occasionally). Again, nobody is perfectly rational without any bias, but Mr Sachs presents a pretty balanced review/summary of the past 50 years or so.

Soooo, is Russia still bad?