World War III Updates

gearhog

2 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

Glad to see Israel took care of business on their timeline and not our election cycle.

Point taken. I was thinking if they were going to hit their oil production it would be after the election to avoid a spike in prices. Of course, Israel is pragmatic enough to know they can't predict which administration they'll be dealing going forward so they try to maintain some semblance of balance between parties. 

Edited by fire4effect

12 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

how's that ukraine war working out right now that so many of you were in love with? seems like a lot of crickets

Great question. I've been busy building a house this summer, so I haven't been able to pay attention. I just did a quick google search for "Russia Ukraine advances".

Screenshot2024-10-26at6_54_15AM.thumb.png.310fd671412a3e915b018b4249eff5f2.png

I just clicked the first article from the Independent. The first few lines.

"Russian forces are making swift and “significant tactical advances” into the eastern Ukrainian city of Selydove, war monitors have said.

Open source data suggests Russian forces advanced in September at their fastest rate since March 2022, despite Ukraine taking a part of Russia’s Kursk region.

Those rapid advances have continued in the past week as Russian forces appear to be charging towards - or even into - the city of Selydove, which is less than 10 miles south of its main target, the larger city of Pokrovsk, a linchpin of the wider Donetsk region’s defences."

I don't think many in the West have the ability to understand an adversary using a "dilatory tactic" in conflict. "Rapid Dominance, Shock and Awe, and Blitzkreig" are what the average American understands as the standard strategic winning tactics. Someone committed to the painfully slow grinding advance without regard to timeline, goal posts, achievements has always been a difficult problem for us.

“If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

Edited by gearhog
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stoker said:

At the current rate of Russian advance, how many years/decades will it take for them to capture Kiev?

How long will it take them to take Berlin? We're told both are strategic objectives of Moscow and thus necessitate us spending hundreds of billions to prevent it. Has Russia ever stated that is their intent? But say that is was...

One answer to your question: 14-15 years, or not as long as it took us to abandon our interests in Afghanistan and Iraq. The website https://liveuamap.com/ shows the average distance to the front line from the Eastern border is around 70 miles.(Click on the polymeasure icon in the bottom left). Kiev is about 420 miles, give or take.

A better answer to your question: Slightly longer than we're willing to remain committed. That is to say we're not in this for the long haul. They are. It's their backyard. US administrations change, budgets change, public perceptions change. I've said this since the beginning. The overall direction of the war continues since the beginning to go in one direction. I'd also submit that the conventional conflict on the ground in Ukraine is a small part of a much bigger war being waged on us by Russia.

https://www.reuters.com/world/spurred-by-shared-grievances-brics-gathers-pace-2024-10-24/

The pace of advance by BRICS is also slow and fraught with problems. But it continues to trend in the direction of success.