Gout

I couldn’t tell you anything about the flying part, but having dealt with my father’s painful journey the sooner you figure out the dietary inflammatories in your life the better.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524

He started keeping a lot of anything he ate that caused significant flare ups. Learned a lot on curbing how often he ate a series of types of meals, changed around the way he and mom ate. Between that and Morning fasting cardio (he just walks as soon as he wakes up for an hour), huge impact on his overall quality of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your friend's misfortune.  Gout sucks.

The waiver guide states that any history of gout for FCI is not waiverable.  It does report that a single FCI waiver was granted at some point, but no specifics are given.

I don't know how the civilian world handles it, but my assumption is that there are waivers for gout when it can be managed appropriately.

Hate to be the bearer of lousy news, but I wouldn't expect a favorable decision from the Air Force on this one.

Thanks for the responses guys.  For context, my friend has a few more years left until retirement and isn’t worried about hiding anything anymore and more concerned about the long term effects of it if left untreated.  If any.