Crash at Kirtland/ABQ 28 May 24

16 hours ago, brabus said:

A retired hornet bro referencing Delta training, “flaring is so stupid.” From what my navy friends have said, it’s SOP to set a decent rate (700 FPM?) and ride it in, every time. It does make sense to not have two different landing procedures based on carrier vs. no carrier - guys would probably fuck up and accidentally flare at the boat and miss the wire…and then their entire career is over and they might as well kill themselves because you know, admin is more important than combat capability! #gONaVy!

There’s a principle in car racing called “mechanical sympathy”. If you don’t have to lean hard on it to get a result, don’t. You’ll reap the rewards at the micro level and eventually at the acquisition level.

Hovering is God like.  Can't blame a fast mover for wanting to pull into a 50' hover and yell ropes, ropes, ropes (sts).  Besides, everyone is doing it at KIKR.  

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2024 at 1:32 PM, Majestik Møøse said:

There’s a principle in car racing called “mechanical sympathy”. If you don’t have to lean hard on it to get a result, don’t. You’ll reap the rewards at the micro level and eventually at the acquisition level.

My understanding isn't that the jets are running out of landings, it's that the airframes are timing out. So while I agree with you to a certain extent, the trap rate is built into the design and it's not been a limiting factor (that I'm aware of).