Old Guy Enlisting in Fighter Unit

I’d think you got 3 years to get selected for a pilot slot. Age waivers are at a premium these days. Hopefully your college is done, and you’re working on your AFOQT, PPL, etc. try to get to know the boys and work hard at your enlisted job. Good luck to you. 

• Upvote 1

I would not enlist with hopes to get a slot. Just go straight for the pilot slot and rush as much as possible. Especially because right now the fighter pipeline has been significantly slowed down for a lot of guard units so don’t waste time enlisting if you want to still be a pilot. Some fighter guard units are saying it could be a 3yr wait now after getting hired before going to UPT, so you can’t waste time. 

Edited by Rated Flyer 4 Life
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2024 at 2:59 AM, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

I would not enlist with hopes to get a slot. Just go straight for the pilot slot and rush as much as possible. Especially because right now the fighter pipeline has been significantly slowed down for a lot of guard units so don’t waste time enlisting if you want to still be a pilot. Some fighter guard units are saying it could be a 3yr wait now after getting hired before going to UPT, so you can’t waste time. 

Second this 1000%. If you are not stuck on fighters I would apply to every single heavy unit you'd be interested in as well. Will only help your chances. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2024 at 8:12 PM, abc1 said:

Hi everyone, please humor me for a second. What would you think about a 30 year old guy enlisting in your unit with hopes to fly fighters?

I was you. I threw it as a hail marry, and enlisted at 30 hoping it would matter on some of my apps and I felt I needed to serve (builds character). Flying fighters was my dream since I was about 4 so I said F it and pushed one last time. I think this answer depends on a few variables:

Quick Summary:

Enlisted with BA/MS in engineering, 1600 hours, airline job offer. Normal dude, like hockey, cars, skiing etc. I had interviewed for fighters and got F*d over, but that is another story. Bad luck and timing. 

Summary (Crew Chief):

Basic (2 months) varies but for me sucked, put a strain on my wife. But it's a necessary hazing. There's some really good people, and some real weirdo's. Look out for the good people, have their backs. Don't get a bed near the hallway light like I did, unless you do not want to sleep for 2 months, and get sick for half of it. You won't wanna go to medical either because they'll just hold you there/roll you back and extend your stay. 

Tech (3 months) school at Sheppard sucks. They treat you like a child, MTLs power trip and don't realize that not everybody there is 19. Some of us hold down multiple professional careers and being there is a tricky sacrifice. I had been gone every weekend flight instructing the past 2 years and barely seen my wife prior to enlisting. I spent thousands on rental cars, hotels and plane tickets for her to visit for just 2 day visits and prevent a divorce. The fact that married individuals/people with kids get lumped into a dorm like its college is beyond stupid. My wife hated the BS, and I agree with her. I put this experience into the "reason not to reenlist"  bucket. AND I was lucky and had a good class and instructor. Don't break their stupid rules, they'll keep you there for months (aka away from your family) as punishment.

Additional Training: Way better, actually productive. Lucky enough to get another instructor who doesn't waste time.  Get your own room, don't have MTL up ass. Get to play with fighters a little, if you love them you love them. Make it fun. 

All in, it'll cost you a year of your life. I've heard thru the grape vine that over 29 nobody cares, you are too old and you aren't getting sent to UPT for fighters (see per 144 FW)

image.png.90cb11f5a4593dc71d0b8ebee8222813.png

If you are single, or don't care where you'll live, and haven't dumped your own money and time into all your civilian flight training, you'd be better off applying to the AD board IMO. "Worst case" even if you were set on fighters, they train you to fly a heavy, you make the best of it, and punch when your commitment is up. It does sting wrenching on a jet you're itching to fly. 

Maybe you'd get lucky and interviewed by O Face...but with fighter UPT shortages ain't lookin to hot even if someone somewhere does think a 30 year old is worth it. The shortages are probably the final nail in my coffin for sure. 

1 more edit to add:

If I ever DID miraculously get into the seat, understanding the enlisted force would make me a far better officer/leader than had I not seen it. 

Edited by hockeydork
  • Upvote 1

To be fair, I think the UPT fighter shortage has hurt/slowed down most people in general looking for a slot. Some units are saying if selected it’s a min of 3yrs if not up to 5 before going to UPT. 

If you’re close to 33, I would just try to get in where you can and at least become an Air Force pilot. Things might work out for you down the road once you have wings, but don’t miss out on getting wings. 

Edited by Rated Flyer 4 Life
  • Upvote 1

On 7/10/2024 at 9:54 PM, hockeydork said:

I was you. I threw it as a hail marry, and enlisted at 30 hoping it would matter on some of my apps and I felt I needed to serve (builds character). Flying fighters was my dream since I was about 4 so I said F it and pushed one last time. I think this answer depends on a few variables:

Quick Summary:

Enlisted with BA/MS in engineering, 1600 hours, airline job offer. Normal dude, like hockey, cars, skiing etc. I had interviewed for fighters and got F*d over, but that is another story. Bad luck and timing. 

Man, kudos for pulling every lever you could to get to where you wanted to go.  Good luck in the future - like you said, final nail in the coffin and all, but maybe there still is an opportunity out there, somewhere.

Out of plain curiosity, can you share more about getting f*d over?  What was your path like from post college to the present, regarding applying with ANG units, other flying units (active duty, etc)?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2024 at 10:54 PM, hockeydork said:

I spent thousands on rental cars, hotels and plane tickets for her to visit for just 2 day visits and prevent a divorce

Not directed at you, but quoted to highlight to others that this point (exponentially increased if you have kids) is MAJORLY overlooked in the hunt for a chance to wear a green onesie. Sure, military flying is great, but there are a whole lot of glossed-over and seemingly not considered crotch kicks to you and your family by pursuing a military life. AD more so than Reserves/ANG, but both can strain. I've known more than a few guys and gals that washed out/self-eliminated because of family separation struggles or gotten divorced due to distance if the spouse/family stays home or due to dragging spouse/family to "garden spot" training bases around the country that leave them isolated and transient. Even those of us that survived the training pipeline stresses with our families intact didn't do so without a few scars from bumps along the way. 

Bottom line: It's awesome to be able to fly military jets. Hands down. I have no ragerts and would probably still do it all over again if I had to. But, I strongly warn against running blindly at the dream after getting all hyped up watching Iron Eagle and Top Gun without stopping for a tactical pause and true discussion with yourself/significant other(s...don't forget kids; even if you don't have them yet) about the downsides or obligations to obtaining and keeping your dream going. It certainly has been done successfully by millions in uniform in the past and is part of the sacrifice to serve, but just want to warn against getting too starry-eyed.

Edited by FDNYOldGuy
Clarifying and Grammar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Out of plain curiosity, can you share more about getting f*d over?  What was your path like from post college to the present, regarding applying with ANG units, other flying units (active duty, etc)?

My guess is any of the weird ANG/RES hiring decisions: wing commanders kid, olympic swimmer, hot chick, hiring enlisted dudes from other units for some weird bro-level drug deal. I saw a lot of shady/weird stuff when I was rushing units, to include a guy who was in UPT for a ‘135 ANG unit, out rushing ANG fighter units. He was told to leave, never return, and they called his unit. Unsure what happened to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1