Laughlin UPT Advice

Howdy folks, just graduated school and I'm on my way to Laughlin to wait (APT) for an IFT/UPT class date. I'd sincerely appreciate any and all wisdom y'all have on PCSing, inprocessing at a new base - especially Laughlin/UPT, the IFT/UPT pipeline itself, etc. Thanks a bunch!

- Ike

First off, UTFSF

Laughlin UPT info
Just got some short notice UPT dates for Laughlin. If anyone is currently there I would love to discuss the current state of UPT, ROM expectations for this winter and lodging for accompanied members. For reference I'm a guard 135 guy who will be PCSing with my wife and dogs in mid September.
As a broad discussion:
How many hours are students currently expecting to get during UPT (2.5?)
If I hold a single engine CPL, what PIC time can I log during T-6s (Only solo time?)
Any advice/study guides I should familiarize myself with prior to arrival?

Thanks!

https://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23503-Laughlin-UPT-info/page__view__findpost__p__498463

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dream big said:

Don’t sleep with your instructors,

Especially the dudes, keep an eye out for the eagle drivers, they'll touch you where you pee.  

Try to change your orders to KEND.   

That is all.   

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Biff_T said:

Especially the dudes, keep an eye out for the eagle drivers, they'll touch you where you pee.  

That is all.   

Laughlin USUALLY guarantees Randolph for IFF which is worth putting up with Del Rio for a year or so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elvis said:

Laughlin USUALLY guarantees Randolph for IFF which is worth putting up with Del Rio for a year or so. 

San Antonio for baby fighter pilot school.  Not a bad gig.   Nevermind,  Don't change your orders.    

Take your next event seriously.

Never sell out your bros or sisters.

Help others when you are excelling and appreciate help when you are struggling.

Enjoy the ride…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skitzo said:

Enjoy the ride…

This

6 hours ago, ViperMan said:

I'll give you a hint: it starts with s and ends with earch function.

This

On 7/20/2024 at 8:24 PM, elvis said:

Make friends with someone with a boat. 

Is Lake Amistad even there anymore?  I heard it was way down?  Good times back in 91!

On 7/20/2024 at 9:07 PM, SurelySerious said:

Amen and a life lesson - learn to help yourself first before you lean on others.

On 7/20/2024 at 11:35 PM, dream big said:

Don’t sleep with your instructors, don’t joke about doing drugs, don’t do stupid shit in San Anton, that should cover it. Enjoy UPT!!

You forgot to add - Don't text Miley Cyrus lyrics...

22 hours ago, Biff_T said:

That is all.   

You should be safe, they prefer their crew cheifs

12 hours ago, Skitzo said:

Enjoy the ride…

Amen... I would caveat, the only sell outs I ever saw were all USAFA grads...YMMV

Be humble and never forget, you are lucky to be there.  You are one of 1200 Americans chosen to fly for the USAF.  The country is investing MILLIONS to teach you to fly, soak it up and never miss a chance to shut the F@ck up.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2024 at 12:35 AM, dream big said:

Don’t sleep with your instructors, don’t joke about doing drugs, don’t do stupid shit in San Anton, that should cover it. Enjoy UPT!!

I mean, wouldn't the instructor be the one in trouble?  It's Del Rio, you can't cut down the field that too much down there! :bohica:

1. Learn to see through haze.

2. Don't participate in naming ceremonies.

3. Don't dance with the Sq/CC, even if she's kinda hot and going through a divorce.

4. When Lake Amistad is low, barb wire sticks out of the water

5. Don Greasalinos #2 can kill you.

6. Judge Ford (or his descendants) will ticket you for 1 mph over on the way to San Anton.

7. Watch out for tarantulas.

• Upvote 1

And…if this thread isn’t evidence enough already…grow a thick skin and learn to take feedback unemotionally and without your ego in the equation. 

• Upvote 2

-Be ready for every event you’re opted for

-consider taking a year off extra risky hobbies, knew lots of wash backs that were due to injuries 

-if you’re married, stay that way. If you’re not married, stay that way

-probably wait till you graduate to have a kid

-don’t kill yourself trying to study way ahead. Near rocks

-have a stash of completed, triple checked boldface’s and leave off the date. 

-if you put your time to good use during the work day, you should not need to study that much at home

-attempt to keep a workout regimen

-actually relax Friday night and Saturday. Sunday is for studying and getting life chores done

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 9:24 PM, elvis said:

Make friends with someone with a boat. 

Second that. 

As the boat guy, make sure people give you gas money. 

Not sure what condition the lake is in currently. 

However, I loved Laughlin. Going in as a guard guy knowing I won't get stuck there was an added bonus though. Theres been a smattering of new businesses opening up in Del Rio, so you've got that. Mesquite Creeks membership (if they still do it) is a must if you enjoy some brews with the classmates. 2 free beers a day when you go in. They've always got some fun events going on, as well as downtown Del Rio. Laughlin itself is meh. The golf course is flat and dry, but fun enough. Used to be good fishing in its ponds. Not sure if they have water anymore. Club XL is too expensive. Not bad once in a while though. They have some fun events once in a while on base. Just take advantage of what they offer. A lot of times they give you beer for volunteering for stuff which is fun. 

If you can, get out of the dorms and get a house with some dudes from your class. Makes it way more fun in my opinion. Then, when several people in your class have houses, do a house crawl on a weekend. Great times. Austin and San Antonio aren't too far of a drive. Big Bend is, but I've heard it was worth it. Wish I had gone. 

As far as UPT itself. The others have nailed it. Always be ready for whats next, but dont reach too far with the studying. I usually stayed in the flight room for 10-12 hours everyday even though we weren't on formal release for T6s, because I studied better there, and didn't wanted to be available for my classmates. Most of us did, and we had a super tight knit flight room. I'll second that boldface advice. I did one every night when I got home to have ready, and to help study. Like the others said, if you use your time effectively during the day, you can actually relax when you get home for the night. 

Be a good bro and you'll be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on graduating! For PCSing, start early with your paperwork and keep track of all documents. Inprocessing at Laughlin is straightforward—just stay organized. For IFT/UPT, focus on staying ahead of the game with your studies and flying hours. Good luck with everything!

take some time to reflect throughout. you'll be amazed at what you variously do and don't know at different times. try not to become cynical early, there's plenty of time for that. upt is a dick kick, but it can be really fucking fun as well, try not to loose sight of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Tack the instrument panel to the wall and chair fly the next flight/emergency procedures over and over again in your mind.  Do this for every flight. When in the sim or a/c don't accept anything less than pegging airspeed and altitude.  In 15K+ hours there isn't a flight I have ever taken including my RV-8, that I didn't review in my mind what I could have done better.