I Had a "Voluntary" Psych Ward Stay 1 Year and 2 months Ago. Is This Waiverable?

Hello everyone. I have been trying for almost seven years to get picked up by the ANG, AFR and Active Air Force for a pilot slot. Last year, I was having a lot of problems with my employer. They owed me over 6 months of back pay and weren't paying me. I was looking for a new job, any job to get out of it and no luck. I was also in a fight with the Department of Labor, the IRS and my State's labor department to get one of them to do something and get my back pay owed to me. My employer even went as far as to try and claim I didn't work there but I had pay stubs and W-2/W-4 proof.

I got into a lot of credit card debit, had to move back in with mom and dad, and did feel a little depressed. I went and saw a therapist and the therapist assumed I was suicidal (I was not but I guess she had a lot of patients that are due to money issues). Anyway she gave me the option of voluntarily admitting myself to the mental ward or I would be BAKER ACTED.

So I spent 72 hours in a Psych Ward. Basically, I was treated like a criminal for 72 hours. Only 3 small meals, no snacks, mandatory group therapy, limited calls to the outside and one on one time with the Doctors, which was more like a police interrogation, than trying to help someone get better. They basically grilled me everyday multiple times to try to get me to admit I was suicidal or homicidal. It was like being in the Wire or Homicide Life on the Street...

I was released after 3 days. I was put on Lexapro for 6 months, I basically took 10 mg for the mandatory 3 months and tapered off of it due to side effects for another 3. I have been off of it for 8 months. I did get my discharge paperwork from the hospital.

Despite the hostile treatment of the doctor, he described me as "goal oriented" (I mentioned wanting to be a pilot and officer in the Air Force) with no suicidal or homicidal ideation. However, gave me a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder. Recently, I saw a Psychiatrist gave her the doctors paper work and she gave me a Psych Evaluation and felt that the hospital gave me a misdiagnosis and that I do not nor have never had Major Depressive Disorder. She gave me a letter stating as much.

I know the military has the Genesis Program that sees your entire medical history. I have heard that having any sort of Psych Ward stay is a 100% DQ and is not waiverable. (Mostly from making an anonymous call to a few Officer Recruiters) I do have a two guard interviews coming up. If I get hired will this ruin my changes of ever becoming a pilot.

But some good news, since last year I have gotten a much better paying job with a better work schedule, I have finished my PPL and am working towards my powered instrument and glider instructor ratings.

Is it possible to get a waiver?

Edited by OlderApp

• OlderApp changed the title to I Had a "Voluntary" Psych Ward Stay 1 Year and 2 months Ago. Is This Waiverable?
  • 1 month later...

Your biggest hurdle if you get hired will be getting through MEPS. If they don't see your diagnosis, they will 100% see your pharmacy records and that will raise a giant red flag. I recommend looking through the airforcerecruits subreddit and using the search function there. Iirc, the USAF won't consider a waiver to join until you have been off meds for 2 years and shown stability, but as usual make them tell you no.

As for flying class physicals, it is unlikely to get a waiver according to the waiver guide, but it all comes down to what the flight doc sees or wants to do. Bottom line is you'll have an uphill battle, so good luck.

From the waiver guide:

image.png.996d9406962411f30900fdfdb35bd23a.png

5 hours ago, Flev said:

Your biggest hurdle if you get hired will be getting through MEPS. If they don't see your diagnosis, they will 100% see your pharmacy records and that will raise a giant red flag. I recommend looking through the airforcerecruits subreddit and using the search function there. Iirc, the USAF won't consider a waiver to join until you have been off meds for 2 years and shown stability, but as usual make them tell you no.

As for flying class physicals, it is unlikely to get a waiver according to the waiver guide, but it all comes down to what the flight doc sees or wants to do. Bottom line is you'll have an uphill battle, so good luck.

From the waiver guide:

image.png.996d9406962411f30900fdfdb35bd23a.png

Thanks but regarding that chart with the waiver potential got isn't in more likely Maybe or Yes for a waiver since it was a single episode and no recurrent?

37 minutes ago, OlderApp said:

Thanks but regarding that chart with the waiver potential got isn't in more likely Maybe or Yes for a waiver since it was a single episode and no recurrent?

That's my bad. You're right, it is maybe/yes, but they still might make you get ACS review for a waiver.

• Upvote 1