Flight Evaluation Board

Hey all,

Facing an FEB in the USAF, my CC just notified me of it. I haven't been given the official reason or letter yet. I know that I don't want to voluntarily give up my wings and that this FEB isn't for a FTU fail to train issue. As I prepare myself for this I'm just searching out any advice or help from anyone that has gone through the process or is aware of what happens during an FEB. Anything is helpful as google hasn't really produced much in terms of results.

Thank you!

Hey all,

Facing an FEB in the USAF, my CC just notified me of it. I haven't been given the official reason or letter yet. I know that I don't want to voluntarily give up my wings and that this FEB isn't for a FTU fail to train issue. As I prepare myself for this I'm just searching out any advice or help from anyone that has gone through the process or is aware of what happens during an FEB. Anything is helpful as google hasn't really produced much in terms of results.

Thank you!

So you have no idea why they’d be sending you to an FEB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, EWOhno said:

Hey all,

Thank you!

Why are you being FEB’d?

4 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

He did say he hasn’t been given the official reason by his leadership, he probably has a hunch. Would be helpful to know what it’s for prior to giving advice though. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Well looking at Chapter 8 in the 11-402, not sure how any of those 8.4 Reasons to Convene a Flying Evaluation Board would apply to me? As they all seem to state that I would have had to do something while flying, in training or preforming aircrew duties. Which I currently do not have any thing in my records that would match these reasons.

14 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

Why are you being FEB’d?

No too sure?

12 hours ago, dream big said:

He did say he hasn’t been given the official reason by his leadership, he probably has a hunch. Would be helpful to know what it’s for prior to giving advice though. 

I guess my hunch is that because I had administrative actions taken against me, removed from my flying squadron and sent to a different squadron where I have not been allowed to fly for a year they are convening a FEB to figure out what to do with me? However, this entire time I have been asking to return to fly and/or retrain to a different air frame.

Edited by EWOhno

7 hours ago, EWOhno said:

guess my hunch is that because I had administrative actions taken against me, removed from my flying squadron and sent to a different squadron where I have not been allowed to fly for a year they are convening a FEB to figure out what to do with me? However, this entire time I have been asking to return to fly and/or retrain to a different air frame.

So it sounds like you do know why…now whether it’s legit is the question.  Your original post made it sound like you truly were surprised, which you’re not.  There’s more to this than you’re telling us.

8 hours ago, EWOhno said:

Well looking at Chapter 8 in the 11-402, not sure how any of those 8.4 Reasons to Convene a Flying Evaluation Board would apply to me? As they all seem to state that I would have had to do something while flying, in training or preforming aircrew duties. Which I currently do not have any thing in my records that would match these reasons.

No too sure?

I guess my hunch is that because I had administrative actions taken against me, removed from my flying squadron and sent to a different squadron where I have not been allowed to fly for a year they are convening a FEB to figure out what to do with me? However, this entire time I have been asking to return to fly and/or retrain to a different air frame.

This may seem irrelevant, but you’ve got to get out of the habit of making statements that end in question marks. It makes you seem somewhat clueless.

Regarding your FEB problem, whatever it is that has caused your command to take administrative actions, that’s the cause. Talk to a lawyer, no idea who or what kind.

9 hours ago, ViperMan said:

What were the "administrative actions"?

Did you bang an E?

If you bang an E they can FEB you.

LOR was the administrative actions, no banging of anyone was the cause.

3 hours ago, HeloDude said:

So it sounds like you do know why…now whether it’s legit is the question.  Your original post made it sound like you truly were surprised, which you’re not.  There’s more to this than you’re telling us.

Well wasn't expecting the notification of the FEB, had been told previously nobody was going to pursue one against me. I'm just looking for generalized information regarding an FEB don't want to provide all the details of my administrative actions.

2 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

This may seem irrelevant, but you’ve got to get out of the habit of making statements that end in question marks. It makes you seem somewhat clueless.

Regarding your FEB problem, whatever it is that has caused your command to take administrative actions, that’s the cause. Talk to a lawyer, no idea who or what kind.

Well Moose, I am clueless in this regard. I'm just looking for any help or advice. I am sure once the official notice is given and the reasons are stated it will help answer some of my questions. I am seeking legal counsel and will be trying to fight this.

• Upvote 1

8.4.7. Habits, Traits, Characteristics. Cause exists to convene an Flying Evaluation Board when an aircrew member exhibits habits, traits of character, or personality characteristics that make it undesirable to continue using the aircrew member in in-flight duties (Adaptability Rating for Military Aviation unsatisfactory)

this is probably where they're gonna go after you...as was mentioned, lawyer up ASAP (ADC or paid), document everything that happens, and keep your mouth shut.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EWOhno said:

LOR was the administrative actions…

Well wasn't expecting the notification of the FEB, had been told previously nobody was going to pursue one against me. I'm just looking for generalized information regarding an FEB don't want to provide all the details of my administrative actions.

Who told you nobody was going to pursue one against you?—the convening authority, ie most likely your wing commander?  Because that’s who officially sends you to an FEB.  Did you write a response to the LOR?  

If you want more info on an FEB, you need to read the regs and talk with an ADC.  But unless the LOR is completely bogus, then it sounds like you messed up and now the AF is wanting to make the case that you shouldn’t be flying because of your lack of judgement, character, etc. 

Without knowing the exact details, it’s kind of hard to give you advice from the peanut gallery…and as others have mentioned, it’s smart to just keep your mouth shut and away from social media.  My only general advice is (if you haven’t done so already) to seek out a couple close friends/family members who you really trust, can give you honest feedback, and who can keep an eye on you to make sure you don’t allow this take you into dark(er) places.  Even if the AF takes your wings away and involuntarily separates you, this doesn’t mean that you can’t live the best life possible from this day forward.  But that will take ownership of what you did, and realizing why you did it, etc and how to right the ship in your life.  Good luck and please be safe.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, EWOhno said:

As they all seem to state that I would have had to do something while flying, in training or preforming aircrew duties.

Well, it doesn't just say that...

12 hours ago, EWOhno said:

LOR was the administrative actions, no banging of anyone was the cause.

Rog.

Like others have said, it's very difficult for the peanut gallery to give you any real feedback on generalities, but I agree with @Day Man's assessment after having perused the AFI myself: they can pursue an FEB based on a character trait, which a lawyer would say covers everything that falls under the umbrella of officership...which getting an LOR would indicate an issue with. Many have had LOR's and LOA's...and weren't FEB'd. Looking back on my career, I'd say that CCs generally go down these rabbit holes after talking with the bros, or after a member has done something especially egregious - like doing something you were told directly to not do or lying. If it's a trust issue that led to the LOR you may have an issue.

Others' advice to lawyer up is good, but that said, you're not going to be in the driver's seat, and I would be extremely cautious about trying to go offensive if that's in the back of your mind.

I have seen more than one guy get FEB'd for non-flying related actions. It sounds like whatever you did to receive an LOR is bad enough they don't want you flying, and that's their prerogative. Really do some introspection here and determine if this is something worth spending a ton of money and stress on. It's very possible you really fucked up something in life/officership, and if that's the case, I'm not saying incriminate yourself further or not lawyer up, but also I wouldn't burn yourself out and drain your bank account to fight a losing battle. If this hypothetical is hitting close to home, then learn from the past, do what you need to improve, and move forward on a new path in life...flying is not everything, despite what we all think in our 20s.

• Upvote 4

“Get a lawyer” is the standard advice that everyone (including me) gave, but on further thought the private attorney route could be prohibitively expensive. Does anyone have an example of how much something like an FEB lawyer has cost? I’ve heard two cases of divorce lawyers costing $150-300k, which is extremely unfortunate and wouldn’t have been worth it in retrospect.