Went to mental health, got some tools that helped, nothing happened to career, still flying

Vice

FYSA for my dudes that may be struggling out there: go get the help from these people if you're struggling. Went in last year, had a few sessions, the psych gave me some tools (mental models and ways to approach my situation) that actually helped.

Deployed a few weeks later, got back, had my FC I renewed, and deployed yet again. It's in my medical record as well.

Mental health shit can creep in over time through your career unexpectedly. If anything, those tools you learn can help mentor someone else who might be struggling. This kind of stuff is going to be extremely important in the future as our conflicts get more intense. And don't listen to the dudes who finger wag at this shit, they have the luxury of not experiencing the ugly side of life- yet.

CYA

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Vice said:

FYSA for my dudes that may be struggling out there: go get the help from these people if you're struggling. Went in last year, had a few sessions, the psych gave me some tools (mental models and ways to approach my situation) that actually helped.

Deployed a few weeks later, got back, had my FC I renewed, and deployed yet again. It's in my medical record as well.

Mental health shit can creep in over time through your career unexpectedly. If anything, those tools you learn can help mentor someone else who might be struggling. This kind of stuff is going to be extremely important in the future as our conflicts get more intense. And don't listen to the dudes who finger wag at this shit, they have the luxury of not experiencing the ugly side of life- yet.

CYA

This is great advice.  My only caveat would be that not all AF mental health folks are the top of the barrel, but the price is right if you can get in to see them.  Don't dismiss the ability to use chaplains as well.  Most of them have significant training and experience as counselors that can often times rival the "mental health professionals" and their hours are a lot more flexible.  Feel free to try multiple options even if you aren't happy with the first one.  There are also online and phone hotline options that are available as free resources as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Glad you had the courage to ask for help, proud you were open enough to share it here as well. 

22 a day is 22 to many...my home is always open, coffee, beer, or whiskey.  We can talk or just sit in silence and decompress. 

Again, thank you for sharing.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

I have used the Chaplain, MFLC, and military one source over my 20+ years.

I have also known folks who have recovered from clinical depression who after a year of being stable successfully resumed flying.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1