Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Well said Hoss. I still believe my job is important to our nation and worthy of my best efforts.... And the pay is fine for my family. Why wouldn't I stay? Others have had a different career experience and reached different conclusions. No worries! Thanks for their help and good luck in the future. But airline pay carries no enticement for me over smashing terrorists, so of course I'll take extra $$ to continue doing what I planned to continue doing.

OK, that's a start. I was looking for a more specific reg or anyone that may have experience with this.

You can't get any more specific than going on AFPC mypers and checking out the recent psdm on the bonus/ARP. Everything you need to know is right there. In a nutshell, if memory serves, if you have more than 16 years of total military service by the time your original UPT commitment ends then you are not eligible. I don't have the psdm in front of me right now, so double check to make sure I'm not wrong.

Money in the bank when you die is wasted. My kids and grandkids can get a job and contribute to society like the rest of us. They'll be just fine without a huge inheritance... So many people preaching about being rich in retirement. Comfortable suits me just fine.

• Upvote 2

Still wrong. It is $5.4M per person. In other words, it you are married your first $10.8M of your estate is passed tax free. You have to be financially stupid to pay ANY estate tax...and most people who can accrue $11+M aren't financially stupid.

Well since almost all airline dudes continue in the Guard or Reserves (for 30K+ per year, plus deferred pension), the actual number you're looking for is the difference between the two pensions. Remember,69% of statistics are made up on the spot - and yours are part of that 69%

I ran the numbers last year with several variables (different airlines, airframes) and it is financially beneficial to go to the airlines early rather than later. The difference is not eye-watering though. Discounting cash flows for inflation it ends up being several hundred thousand, not several million. If money is the bottom line, get out. For most of us, there are other variables that make a few hundred K only another thing to consider.

One thing to also remember is that while on mil leave with a seniority # at a Major, they are still putting 15-16%/month into your 401k while doing your Reserve duty. That's money in your name...not some promise from our banana republic government. Whatever your decision, it behooves you to get your seniority number as soon as possible. -Capt Obvious

Edited by Vetter
  • Upvote 1

If you want to go to the airlines. Is it worth the risk of hoping to get on with a major which is no guarantee and then hope you can get AD back without pissing off the airline who invested money in you. Do what makes you happy. 30 years at an airline is going to make you unhappy either way.

Edited by scoobs

One thing to also remember is that while on mil leave with a seniority # at a Major, they are still putting 15-16%/month into your 401k while doing your Reserve duty. That's money in your name...not some promise from our banana republic government. Whatever your decision, it behooves you to get your seniority number as soon as possible. -Capt Obvious

I thought they didn't put the money in until you returned from mil leave...at least that's what I heard with Delta.

If you want to go to the airlines. Is it worth the risk of hoping to get on with a major which is no guarantee and then hope you can get AD back without pissing off the airline who invested money in you. Do what makes you happy. 30 years at an airline is going to make you unhappy either way.

And you know this from your experience as an airline pilot? Or from your experience trolling this site (and also APC under "gilligan13") as a weird mil-aviation fanboy?

The only thing missing from your post Scoobs was a reference to how much happier people are over at "Air Warriors". Step up your game!

So if you take the bonus, are you inelgible from taking an AGR job at a later time, but before the expiration of your bonus ADSC?

Not sure I understand the question - how would you take an AGR gig if you're still committed to AD? Are you asking if it's possible to serve out your remaining ADSC as an AGR? Not sure that is possible because in order to start as an AGR, you must first separate - which you can't do with remaining ADSC. Did I read that wrong?

Edited by ViperStud

And you know this from your experience as an airline pilot? Or from your experience trolling this site (and also APC under "gilligan13") as a weird mil-aviation fanboy?

The only thing missing from your post Scoobs was a reference to how much happier people are over at "Air Warriors". Step up your game!

Haha, APC is a good forum. I would also recommend jetcareers and flightinfo.com. Airlines are a lot like the military. Furloughs, high divorce, and lots of time away from home. Throw in bankruptcy,working holidays, nights and weekends. Oh and pay cuts. Edited by scoobs

Haha, APC is a good forum. I would also recommend jetcareers and flightinfo.com. Airlines are a lot like the military. Furloughs, high divorce, and lots of time away from home. Throw in bankruptcy,working holidays, nights and weekends. Oh and pay cuts.

What is your mil and/or aviation background?

• Upvote 4

Sooo . . . We've gone through the standard round of sniping back and forth over the relative virtues of taking the bonus, and we're about a month past the bonus being offered. I'm confident that bonus eligibles have gotten more than enough advice, whether they want it or not. Seems like by now most eligibles probably have a pretty good idea what direction they'll go. Questions:

- Has anybody on this forum taken the bonus this FY--or is planning to?

- Can anybody currently in an operational flying squadron give some insight into the current mood among crew dawgs WRT taking the bonus?