Turn the Heat Off!

Toro

Guest Hoser

If you've never sat in the trunk of a T-38 with while the systems is getting "blown out" (big STS there), then you have no idea what that IP was being subjected too.

I've always been a fan of the fear/sarcasm/ridicule technique of instructing. It worked for me, both as a student, and an IP

Hoser

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, as an ENJJPT instructor for 2 years (yes, I know all the UPT bases have foreign dudes, but no where near the ratio that we have them) I say that there is no way, despite what Toro's e-mail says, that this dude was f&ckin around....but, if he was, I totally agree w/ Fury.....that it was a stupid and non-"funny," non-"hilarious" thing it he did do it on purpose.

Riddler

This dude wasn't yellin b/c just to be yellin.....he was doing it because most likely, he was pretty damn hot! And, the language barrier, whether intentional or not, falls under your #2 of things that really piss you off.

How many JASDF students do we usually take on for our UPT? It seems that they would have the capacity to take care of their own primary instruction with the T-3/T-7 and advanced instruction with the T-4 before they go on to the Phantom, Eagle, F-2, etc.

Since the main problem here was misunderstanding, I don't think the yelling served much purpose. Raise your voice to get the point across that its serious, but beyond that I think the yelling just puts more pressure on the stud to the point where they can't function (maybe that means they shouldn't be in the jet, but on the spot you're only worried about fixing the problem). Extreme pressure is great if you are training/evaluating, but not so great if you have a serious issue that needs to be taken care of.

Having dealt with a few weak english speakers, I'm sure the profanity and slang ("turn the ****ing heat off, jesus christ") wasn't helping any either.

Seems like the stud is genuinely confused based on his "what the hell is going on" comment under his breath at around 3:00min.

But they both made it back with the jet in one piece, so what the hell do I know.

Guest T38driver

bucky...

I'm not positive on the exact number, but right now I believe there are 4 JASDF students in Phase III at Columbus (T-38 side...I don't know about the T-1s). There may be a couple more...Currently, we have students from Portugal, Italy, Japan and Nigeria in Phase III. (Though the two Portugal students graduated about a month ago).

Regards,

[ 17. April 2006, 21:31: Message edited by: T38driver ]

Guest MaxStatic

I don't know but "OFF, O-F-F!!!!!!" is pretty frigg'n clear. Just playing devils advocate but if the english skills are not up to understanding "turn the heat off" with successive increases in urgency and volume, I'd say you have no business in the plane with an english speaking IP i.e. not qualified to train.

If it wasn't a malfunction, the stud was being an idiot. What business do you have flying 38's if you can't even work the environmental controls? If it was a malfunction, why didn't the stud acknowledge/inform the IP? You know the whole maintain aircraft control, analyze yada yada. Sounded like he was drifting off too with "heh, were are we going." Instead he argues with the "sir I was doing nothing..." bs.

Me thinks it's a simple one here, IP was burning his arse off and the stud was a few shy of a full deck. There is a time and place to raise your voice and I think this qualifies. Just my $.02

Guest Hydro130
Originally posted by Mark1:

Since the main problem here was misunderstanding, I don't think the yelling served much purpose. Raise your voice to get the point across that its serious, but beyond that I think the yelling just puts more pressure on the stud to the point where they can't function (maybe that means they shouldn't be in the jet, but on the spot you're only worried about fixing the problem). Extreme pressure is great if you are training/evaluating, but not so great if you have a serious issue that needs to be taken care of.

Having dealt with a few weak english speakers, I'm sure the profanity and slang ("turn the ****ing heat off, jesus christ") wasn't helping any either.

Seems like the stud is genuinely confused based on his "what the hell is going on" comment under his breath at around 3:00min.

But they both made it back with the jet in one piece, so what the hell do I know.

Beacuse the IP allowed the sortie to press!!! He could've ended it halfway thru that clip with the 'I got the jet, we're going home....", but he didn't. The IP was in physical pain with the heat; the stress of the dull knife up front aggravated everything, what do you expect?

Somewhere arond the 3:15 point you here the stud try take the aircraft after much silence... Listen to the tone-of-voice of the IP's response reasserting that HE has the aircraft. That sums it up to me. The IP is a true professional. Period. Dot.

Hydro

Guest MaxStatic
Originally posted by Hydro130:

The IP is a true professional. Period. Dot.

Hydro [/QB]

My point exactly!

priceless quote: IP-"check cabin pressure" stud-"whaaaat?"

Originally posted by MaxStatic:

Me thinks it's a simple one here, IP was burning his arse off and the stud was a few shy of a full deck. There is a time and place to raise your voice and I think this qualifies. Just my $.02

Totally agree.

Guest Hoser

He was yelling, mainly because it is FRIGGIN LOUD when you are clearing out the system.

I had heard that there was a malfunction. When clearing the system, the studend normally turns the rheostat to full hot. During this time, the cross-over valve got stuck. This would require the student to put the switch to manual, then hold a 3 position toggle switch in to the COLD position, as the cross-over valve made the transition.

Hoser

That sums it up to me. The IP is a true professional. Period. Dot.
No arguement. I'm not trying to say that the IP did something wrong or that he was out of line, just that he might have gotten a better response from the stud had he remained "calm" (ie had the problem rectified faster). And again, if the stud can't handle a simple situation with a little yelling in the background then maybe he shouldn't be in the jet, but that can be dealt with on the ground.

Sorry Hydro, I took this comment:

If you ever make it to UPT, then you'll be the fish in THAT barrel... Get used to it. Lose the punk SNAP attitude.

as meaning it was OK for an instructor (not the one in the video) to be a screamer. I agree with you that in the case of this video, the IP would fall under my #2 rule.

I think your next post summed it up:

NO WHERE did I intend to imply this dude was a "screamer". Please understand THAT first and foremost. I completely agree with your "screamer IP" comments, as would any of the other IPs on this board, but those types are few and far between...

Soooo...

[ 18. April 2006, 11:49: Message edited by: Riddller ]