Aggressor pilots

Guest Piperpilot2004

Guest Piperpilot2004

I am sure there is a post on this somewhere, but does it take to become an Aggressor Pilot? That sounds like a neat job. Do you apply after you have flown say an F-16 for a few years or after your an IP, or even have a high amount of combat hours? How competitive is that? Id imagine it would be almost as hard as making the Thunderbirds..am I wrong? Im bored, so thought I would ask so it gave me something to do. Yeah guess you could say Spring Break sucks in pittsburgh..lol id almost rather be in school. Lastly though, does the USMC still use Kfirs as aggressor type aircraft, or have those phased out?

thanks, just wondering..

[ 26. March 2005, 17:27: Message edited by: Piperpilot2004 ]

You have to be an IP in any current fighter. It's not a very tough assignment to get into. You just have to fly the single seat ejection platform for a while. Some Eagle guys that become aggressors never get out of the Viper community (same with T-clones).

The rumor is still floating about the Eagle aggressors, I'm hearing maybe this fall...

Originally posted by scoobs:

Is that a typical 3 year tour?And how long does it take to train somebody in the viper?

It is probably a controlled 3-year tour (just a guess). The F-16 TX course is probably somewhere on the order of a month to 6 weeks.

• 7 months later...
Originally posted by bucky60k:

Aviation Week said they were supplementing the F-16s with F-15Cs. How does one become an aggressor pilot anyways?

Not sure if they are going to have one big mixed squadron, or have two sepatare Aggressor Sq's, but there will be both Viper and Albino Aggressor's at Nellis sometime in the future.

Hoser

Originally posted by bucky60k:

Are the Eagles only going to simulate the big aircraft like the Mig-31 or SU-27 or will they be able replicate all threats?

They'll replicate all threats.

Hoser

• 4 weeks later...