Suicide attempt

Guest low-n-slow

Guest low-n-slow

I would like a serious answer on this because it will define my career from here on out. I wish to fly in the AF and need a no bullshit answer on whether or not this will disqualify me from flying in the AF.

About four years ago, I was having trouble dealing with some issues. the doc had put me on meds, which actually made me feel worse. Finally, it got bad and I attempted to commit suicide. (I tried to hit a semi head on) After this failed, i realized I need help and ON MY OWN ACCORD, went to life skills and got the help i needed. They sent me to a hospital for behavioral health for a week and when I came back i was 110 percent better. This was four years ago, and I have had NO trouble since then. This is something that is very hard to talk about because i'm very embarrased at the stupid mistake i made in the past. I feel it was a situational thing and not clinical.

I asked a flight doc here and he said all i needed was to get a letter from life skills. Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

[ 20. December 2006, 04:52: Message edited by: Toro ]

low-n-slow,

You have a difficult road ahead...what your doc said is really the only thing you can do at this point. When you go for your physical they will probably schedule you for a psych eval if you haven't had a current one just before the exam. It's important that the Life Skills doc can clearly show that this was a one time deal and that you won't be a danger to yourself or flight safety in the future. Make sure you have all your medical records available on this issue when you go to your IFC 1.

Good luck

Guest low-n-slow

Thanks for the info. So what your saying is that i'm not 100% definately disqualified because of it, but there's a chance i can fly as long as I get cleared through life skills.

There is always a chance...everything hinges on the facts surrounding the case and the current recommendation. Is it possible that the meds you were taking at the time greatly contributed to the incident...what was you diagnosis at the time of the incident...how old were you...were you in the military, college, or high school when this happened...all of these factors and more go into the decision mix. I'm not asking for an answer here...just providing some insight. Give it your best shot!

Good luck

Guest doctidy

l-n-s:

I recently got a note from someone who had a history of some serious type of psychiatric problem...but was given a waiver. I was actually quite surprised.

You've pretty much defined the issue. Depression with suicide attempt is certainly disqualifying. I would also be concerned about any physical after-affects from your attempted suicide...though I get the feeling you either missed, he swerved, or for some other reason you and the truck never actually collided.

Guest KoolKat

A self-referal to Life Skills shouldn't have any impact on what you can and cannot do, outside of the exception that they deemed it necesary to notify your chain of command (whom then documented it) regarding the situation.

While I certainly agree "depression with suicide attemt is certainly disqualifying," I have to question the full validity of assuming a disqualification from what is provided here.

Approximately 92% of self referals to Life Skills maintain total confidentiality. Obviously, this mean that you and them are the only ones that know about it and a "doctor" has given "his stamp" that it is so.

While I agree with you that that was one stupid f_cking thing to do...What kind of documentation is in your medical records? What was disclosed while you were "hanging out" with Life Skills?

I don't think you should lie about anything. In fact you should be as up front about your past as you can be, it CANNOT hurt you as a person.

As a perspective pilot, IT CAN. If you lie by omission in order to by pass this incredibly stupid choice, I certainly wouldn't hold it against you.

HOWEVER, if you ever try to barrel my plane into the ground...you better f_cking kill us...'cuase you're dead anyways motherf_cker.

BL...You still have information that makes giving you a "No Bullshit" answer impossible.

Posters do this to the Flight Docs on here all the time...this is better taken to PMs. They won't be offended if you as all of them the same thing.

BENDY

Guest F16PilotMD

As a perspective clinician, Dr. Bender, that was very helpful. WTFO??????

Low - I see no way you can get a waiver.

Guest KoolKat

Admittedly, I didn't qualify my post with the fact that I'm not a doctor, and although I don't think that would have altered your opinion of my comments it should have been made, I guess.

Other than that...WTF is your WTFO all about. If it isn't in his medical records and the Life Skills stuff all remained 100% confidential, then there would either need to be an explicit checkbox on a form, an explicit question reagrding the issue or a voluntary offering of what must certainly easily be the dumbest thing this guy/gal has ever done his their lifetime (wouldn't put any money on the fact that one just gets volunteered.)

I can't quite seem to remember that checkbox or explicit question...perhaps the memory simply escapes me though.

In anycase, disregard, I'm obviously sober, so I can't be making much sense anyhow.

Carry on...dude apparently you're f_cked. Don't go getting all depressed and killing yourself over it! It isn't worth it.

BENDY

• 3 weeks later...
Guest awfltdoc

Low-n-slow

Although it is true that a life skills visit is confidential (to a certain degree), in most instances a notation is made in the medical records that a visit did take place. The details are left out of the members main medical record. Life skills maintains their own sequestered detailed records. This is beside the point.

On the standard form 93 report of medical history question 10 the fifth entry left hand side asks for "suicide attempt or plans". The applicant is required to answer yes or no or don't know. There is also a question about "Depression or excessive worry". Question 13 on the reverse side asks if you have ever been treated for a mental condition. Question 16 asks about hospitalizations. Question 17 askes about seeing any health providers to include metal healed providers in the last five years. So there are specific questions regarding your issue/condition that will be asked at your FC1 physical exam. Failure to answer these questions to your best knowledge could be considered falsification of government records and "punishable by fine/an or inprisonment". Please google SF 93 to view yourself.

Please don't get the wrong idea, I am not questioning the integrity of anyone here, but just pointing out there are specific questions on the FC1 physical dealing with your condition and there could be significant consequences for failure to properly fess up. If you are destined to be a pilot then this will be a overcomable obstacle just follow your flight surgeons instructions.

Good luck.